Adenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma of the prostate: clinicopathologic findings in 19 cases.
AuthorsIczkowski, Kenneth A
Ferguson, Kevin L
Grier, David D
Banerjee, Saumitra S
McNeal, John E
Bostwick, David G
AffiliationVeterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32608-1197, uSA. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma (ACBCC) of the prostate has been considered to have indolent biologic potential. However, outcome data are scant, with only one documented metastasis and death. We describe clinicopathologic features of ACBCC in 19 patients and document outcome in 15. Patients ranged in age from 43 to 83 years. All but one presented with urinary obstruction. ACBCC was diagnosed by transurethral resection in 15 cases, by needle biopsy in 3 cases, and unexpected in 1 case. Four patients had concurrent acinar adenocarcinoma. Histologically, cribriform or adenoid cystic patterns predominated in 12 cases and basal cell carcinoma pattern in 7. Five cases had prominent perineural invasion. ACBCC was immunoreactive for p63 and cytokeratins 7 and 34 beta E12 but not cytokeratin 20. After diagnosis, 5 patients underwent radical prostatectomy, 2 underwent pelvic exenteration, and the rest had no treatment. ACBCC showed extraprostatic extension in 5 cases and involved the bladder margin in 3. Metastases developed in 4 (21%) patients: liver (2), lung (2), bowel (1), and corpus cavernosum (1). In 15 cases with follow-up (0.3-11.8 years), two patients died of cancer (at 1.5 and 3 years after diagnosis), 3 remain alive with cancer, and 10 have no evidence of cancer. Thus, ACBCC of the prostate is a potentially aggressive neoplasm requiring ablative therapy.
CitationAdenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma of the prostate: clinicopathologic findings in 19 cases. 2003, 27 (12):1523-9 Am. J. Surg. Pathol.
JournalThe American Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Basal cell proliferations of the prostate other than usual basal cell hyperplasia: a clinicopathologic study of 23 cases, including four carcinomas, with a proposed classification.
- Authors: McKenney JK, Amin MB, Srigley JR, Jimenez RE, Ro JY, Grignon DJ, Young RH
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Adenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma of the prostate strongly expresses HER-2/neu.
- Authors: Iczkowski KA, Montironi R
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Basal cell carcinoma of the prostate: a clinicopathologic study of 29 cases.
- Authors: Ali TZ, Epstein JI
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Adenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma of the prostate: review and update.
- Authors: Begnami MD, Quezado M, Pinto P, Linehan WM, Merino M
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Adenoid cystic-like tumor of the prostate gland. A report of two cases and review of the literature on "adenoid cystic carcinoma" of the prostate.
- Authors: Young RH, Frierson HF Jr, Mills SE, Kaiser JS, Talbot WH, Bhan AK
- Issue date: 1988 Jan