Low-grade malignant Triton tumor of the oral cavity: a case report.
AffiliationUniversity Dental Hospital of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMalignant Triton tumor (MTT) is a malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor showing rhabdomyoblastic differentiation. It is considered a high-grade neoplasm with poor outcome. This report describes an MTT appearing in the oral cavity. On histologic examination the encapsulated lesion was composed of interlacing fascicles of spindle cells and scattered, large, strap-like pleomorphic cells with abundant eosinophilic cytoplasm. No cross striations were seen. Examination of levels through the tissue showed a total of only 4 normal mitoses and no necrosis. Immunohistochemistry demonstrated diffuse S100 positivity in the spindle cells. The large pleomorphic cells were weakly positive for alpha-sarcomeric actin and myoglobin, although variably but strongly positive for desmin. Management involved a small en bloc resection of the maxilla. After 33 months there was no sign of recurrence or distant metastasis. It was concluded that low-grade variants of MTT occur that do not have an aggressive clinical course.
CitationLow-grade malignant Triton tumor of the oral cavity: a case report. 2003, 95 (6):699-704 Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod
JournalOral surgery, Oral medicine, Oral pathology, Oral radiology, and Endodontics
- Malignant Triton tumor. A case with protean histopathological patterns.
- Authors: Kiryu H, Urabe H
- Issue date: 1992 Jun
- Primary gingival leiomyosarcoma. A clinicopathological study of 1 case with prolonged survival.
- Authors: Lo Muzio L, Favia G, Farronato G, Piattelli A, Maiorano E
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Spindle cell rhabdomyosarcoma (so-called) in adults: report of two cases with emphasis on differential diagnosis.
- Authors: Rubin BP, Hasserjian RP, Singer S, Janecka I, Fletcher JA, Fletcher CD
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Triton tumor of the parotid area. Case report.
- Authors: Llanes F, Sanz Ortega J, Suarez B, Sanz Esponera J
- Issue date: 1997 Jan
- Sclerosing PEComa: clinicopathologic analysis of a distinctive variant with a predilection for the retroperitoneum.
- Authors: Hornick JL, Fletcher CD
- Issue date: 2008 Apr