AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Oak Road, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: Elderly patients with head and neck cancer may not be treated aggressively with radiotherapy, due to concerns regarding tolerance of treatment and toxicity. A retrospective study was undertaken of patients aged 80 years and over, treated by definitive radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. MATERIAL AND METHODS: 98 patients aged 80-92 received radiotherapy for carcinoma of the head and neck between 1991 and 1995. All patients received beam directed radiotherapy with radical intent using an immobilisation shell. RESULTS: Cancer specific survival was 59% and overall local control was 70% at 5 years. Both were significantly affected by T stage and site of disease. Cancer specific survival was comparable to that of patients aged below 80 years. Seven patients died within 6 months of the treatment. Three patients developed severe late toxicity. Metastatic disease occurred in eight patients. CONCLUSIONS: Radiotherapy is a beneficial and well tolerated treatment in elderly patients with carcinoma of the head and neck.
CitationRadiotherapy for head and neck cancer in elderly patients. 2003, 69 (1):37-42 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Methods for estimating the site of origin of locoregional recurrence in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Due AK, Vogelius IR, Aznar MC, Bentzen SM, Berthelsen AK, Korreman SS, Kristensen CA, Specht L
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Hyperfractionated accelerated radiotherapy with concomitant integrated boost of 70-75 Gy in 5 weeks for advanced head and neck cancer. A phase I dose escalation study.
- Authors: Cvek J, Kubes J, Skacelikova E, Otahal B, Kominek P, Halamka M, Feltl D
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Elective neck dissection during salvage surgery for locally recurrent head and neck squamous cell carcinoma after radiotherapy with elective nodal irradiation.
- Authors: Dagan R, Morris CG, Kirwan JM, Werning JW, Vaysberg M, Amdur RJ, Mendenhall WM
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy vs. parotid-sparing 3D conformal radiotherapy. Effect on outcome and toxicity in locally advanced head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Lambrecht M, Nevens D, Nuyts S
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Therapeutic selective neck dissection: a 25-year review.
- Authors: Muzaffar K
- Issue date: 2003 Sep