Foci of amorphous/granulofilamentous matrix in the extracellular domain of tumours: a study of 34 cases. 1. Ultrastructural characterisation.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe distribution and the appearance of foci of extracellular amorphous/granulofilamentous material (FEAM) in 34 human tumours are described. FEAM were rounded to oval, or more elongated or irregular elements of discretely delineated dense material lying in the extracellular space of tumours. They varied in size and abundance, sometimes coalescing into more extensive areas of dense material. At high magnification, FEAM exhibited a granular and finely filamentous substructure. Variations in the electron-density of FEAM were noted. Some FEAM were found associated with the surfaces of tumour cells, on occasion with subplasmalemmal linear densities. FEAM was also sometimes associated with matrix filaments, often collagen. Material of similar substructure and density was also associated with some vessels. FEAM were mostly found in tumours showing mesenchymal differentiation. The nature and origin of FEAM is discussed.
CitationFoci of amorphous/granulofilamentous matrix in the extracellular domain of tumours: a study of 34 cases. 1. Ultrastructural characterisation. 2003, 35 (2):99-109 J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Submicroscopic Cytology and Pathology
- Foci of amorphous/granulofilamentous matrix in the extracellular domain of tumours. 2. Immunohistochemical and immunogold characterization of a fibronectin-rich matrix component.
- Authors: Eyden B, Shore I, Moss J, Yamazaki K, Ru Y, Shanks JH, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Giant-cell fibroblastoma: a case report emphasising the presence of hyperplastic subplasmalemmal linear densities in continuity with granular matrices in the extracellular space.
- Authors: Eyden B, Yamazaki K, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Ultrastructural and immunohistochemical studies of the periendothelial matrix in human melanoma: evidence for an amorphous matrix containing laminin.
- Authors: Lugassy C, Dickersin GR, Christensen L, Karaoli T, LeCharpentier M, Escande JP, Barnhill RL
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Ultrastructure of inclusion bodies in annulus cells in the degenerating human intervertebral disc.
- Authors: Gruber HE, Hanley EN Jr
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Left atrial myxoma. An ultrastructural study.
- Authors: Chopra P, Sharma VK
- Issue date: 1983 Jul