Randomized phase II study of temozolomide given every 8 hours or daily with either interferon alfa-2b or thalidomide in metastatic malignant melanoma.
Lorigan, Paul C
Clamp, Andrew R
Ranson, Malcolm R
Middleton, Mark R
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Temozolomide is an imidazotetrazine with a mechanism of action similar to dacarbazine and equivalent activity in melanoma. It is well tolerated and is a candidate for combination chemotherapy and schedule manipulation. In this study, we combined temozolomide with interferon alfa-2b and, separately, with thalidomide, and we administered temozolomide alone in a compressed schedule. The objectives of this randomized phase II, two-center study were to determine response rates, overall survival, and tolerability of the regimens in patients with advanced metastatic melanoma. PATIENTS AND METHODS: One hundred eighty-one patients with metastatic melanoma were randomly assigned to receive up to six 4-weekly cycles consisting of temozolomide 200 mg/m2 every 8 hours for five doses, or temozolomide 200 mg/m2 daily for days 1 to 5 plus interferon alfa-2b 5 MU (million International Units) subcutaneously three times a week, or temozolomide 150 mg/m2 (increased after one cycle to 200 mg/m2) daily on days 1 to 5 plus thalidomide 100 mg daily days 1 to 28. RESULTS: The treatment arms were well balanced for known prognostic factors. Median survival was 5.3 months for 8-hourly temozolomide, 7.7 months for temozolomide/interferon, and 7.3 months for temozolomide/thalidomide; and 1-year survivals were 18%, 26%, and 24%, respectively. Response or disease stabilization occurred in 20% of patients (95% confidence interval [CI], 10% to 33%) given 8-hourly temozolomide, 21% (95% CI, 12% to 33%) given temozolomide/interferon, and 25% (95% CI, 15% to 38%) given temozolomide/thalidomide. Grade 3 or 4 nonhematologic toxicities were similar in each arm except for infection, which was more frequent with 8-hourly temozolomide. There were fewer instances of grade 3 or 4 myelotoxicity with temozolomide/thalidomide. CONCLUSION: Of the three regimens tested, the combination of temozolomide and thalidomide seems the most promising for future study.
CitationRandomized phase II study of temozolomide given every 8 hours or daily with either interferon alfa-2b or thalidomide in metastatic malignant melanoma. 2003, 21 (13):2551-7 J. Clin. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Dacarbazine, cisplatin, and interferon-alfa-2b with or without interleukin-2 in metastatic melanoma: a randomized phase III trial (18951) of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Melanoma Group.
- Authors: Keilholz U, Punt CJ, Gore M, Kruit W, Patel P, Lienard D, Thomas J, Proebstle TM, Schmittel A, Schadendorf D, Velu T, Negrier S, Kleeberg U, Lehman F, Suciu S, Eggermont AM
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 20
- Phase II multicentre study of temozolomide in combination with interferon alpha-2b in metastatic malignant melanoma.
- Authors: García M, del Muro XG, Tres A, Crespo C, Valladares M, López JJ, Rifà J, Pérez X, Filipovich E, Germà-Lluch JR
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Phase 2 trial of combination thalidomide plus temozolomide in patients with metastatic malignant melanoma: Southwest Oncology Group S0508.
- Authors: Clark JI, Moon J, Hutchins LF, Sosman JA, Kast WM, Da Silva DM, Liu PY, Thompson JA, Flaherty LE, Sondak VK
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 15
- Temozolomide and interferon alpha 2b in metastatic melanoma stage IV.
- Authors: Richtig E, Hofmann-Wellenhof R, Pehamberger H, Forstinger Ch, Wolff K, Mischer P, Raml J, Fritsch P, Zelger B, Ratzinger G, Koller J, Lang A, Konrad K, Kindermann-Glebowski E, Seeber A, Steiner A, Fialla R, Pachinger W, Kos C, Klein G, Kehrer H, Kerl H, Ulmer H, Smolle J
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Phase II study of temozolomide plus pegylated interferon-alpha-2b for metastatic melanoma.
- Authors: Hwu WJ, Panageas KS, Menell JH, Lamb LA, Aird S, Krown SE, Williams LJ, Chapman PB, Livingston PO, Wolchok JD, Houghton AN
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 1