AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, Cancer Research UK Paterson Institute, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt is an exciting time for cancer researchers in the field of apoptotic cell death. The avalanche of discoveries over the past decade or so regarding how apoptosis is regulated begins to be exploited for therapeutic benefit as the first apoptosis-targeted drugs enter early clinical trials. This chapter provides a selective review on the development of such drugs. We also outline issues regarding the regulation and design of early clinical trials of this type of molecularly targeted agent. Finally, we discuss the biomarkers and surrogate pharmacodynamic endpoint assays currently available to chart the efficacy of apoptosis-inducing anticancer therapy.
CitationApoptosis pathway-targeted drugs-from the bench to the clinic. 2004, 1705 (1):53-66 Biochim. Biophys. Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Targeting apoptosis pathways for new cancer therapeutics.
- Authors: Bai L, Wang S
- Issue date: 2014
- From bench to clinic with apoptosis-based therapeutic agents.
- Authors: Nicholson DW
- Issue date: 2000 Oct 12
- Biomarkers of therapeutic response to BCL2 antagonists in cancer.
- Authors: Lam LT, Zhang H, Chyla B
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Targeting survival pathways in lymphoma.
- Authors: Paoluzzi L, O'Connor OA
- Issue date: 2010
- Subversion of the Bcl-2 life/death switch in cancer development and therapy.
- Authors: Adams JM, Huang DC, Strasser A, Willis S, Chen L, Wei A, van Delft M, Fletcher JI, Puthalakath H, Kuroda J, Michalak EM, Kelly PN, Bouillet P, Villunger A, O'Reilly L, Bath ML, Smith DP, Egle A, Harris AW, Hinds M, Colman P, Cory S
- Issue date: 2005