AuthorsMangar, Stephen A
Logue, John P
Shanks, Jonathan H
Cooper, Rachel A
Cowan, Richard A
Wylie, James P
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: Small-cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder is rarely encountered in clinical practice. We report on our clinical experience with affected patients presenting to our institution from 1986 to 1996. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We retrospectively analysed 14 pathologically confirmed cases, specifically looking at stage, presenting features, treatment and overall survival. The median age at presentation was 74 years (range 54-91 years). RESULTS: Ten patients presented with stage III disease, and four patients with stage IV disease (1 = nodal, 3 = distant metastases). Four patients were treated with radical radiotherapy (one patient receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy) and two underwent a radical cystoprostatectomy. Five patients received palliative bladder radiotherapy and three were too frail for treatment at presentation. The overall median survival was 5 months. Patients receiving radical treatment had a median overall survival of 21 months, with only one long-term survivor. CONCLUSION: This highly aggressive tumour tends to affect an elderly population who are generally frail and have significant comorbidity. Many are unfit for radical treatment. In patients with disease confined to the pelvis who are able to tolerate radical intervention, the results of local therapy alone are poor. It therefore remains incumbent on treating clinicians to explore means of improving these results. Initial chemotherapy analogous to small-cell lung cancer may offer a durable response with a better chance for long-term survival.
CitationSmall-cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: 10-year experience. 2004, 16 (8):523-7 Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol)
- Small cell carcinoma of bladder: a single-center prospective study of 25 cases treated in analogy to small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Bex A, Nieuwenhuijzen JA, Kerst M, Pos F, van Boven H, Meinhardt W, Horenblas S
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder. The Mayo Clinic experience.
- Authors: Choong NW, Quevedo JF, Kaur JS
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 15
- [Neuroendocrine small-cell bladder cancer: our experience].
- Authors: Ruoppolo M, Pezzica E, Milesi R, Corti D, Mercurio P, Fragapane G
- Issue date: 2010 Oct-Dec
- [Clinical and pathologic characteristics of small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of urinary tract].
- Authors: Guo AT, Chen W, Wei LX
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Evidence supporting preoperative chemotherapy for small cell carcinoma of the bladder: a retrospective review of the M. D. Anderson cancer experience.
- Authors: Siefker-Radtke AO, Dinney CP, Abrahams NA, Moran C, Shen Y, Pisters LL, Grossman HB, Swanson DA, Millikan RE
- Issue date: 2004 Aug