The effect of cigarette smoking use and cessation on serum insulin-like growth factors.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe patterns of risk association between circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, and its main binding protein, IGFBP-3, differ between smoking and nonsmoking-related cancers. To investigate this observation further, we measured serum IGF-I, IGF-II and IGF-binding protein-3 concentrations in 232 men and 210 women (aged 55-64 years), and related peptide levels to smoking characteristics. Current smoking was associated with significant reductions in mean IGFBP-3 levels in men assessed by the number of cigarettes smoked daily (P(trend)=0.007) and pack-years smoked (P(trend)=0.03). Mean IGF-I levels decreased with increasing cigarette use in men (P(trend)=0.11). There were no patterns of association between smoking and IGF peptides in women. For male former vs never smokers, there were no differences in mean IGF-I and IGFBP-3 concentrations, suggesting that smoking cessation is associated with normalisation of peptide concentrations.
CitationThe effect of cigarette smoking use and cessation on serum insulin-like growth factors. 2004, 91 (8):1525-31 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- The pregnancy-associated plasma protein A and insulin-like growth factor system in response to cigarette smoking.
- Authors: Chelchowska M, Maciejewski T, Gajewska J, Ambroszkiewicz J, Laskowska-Klita T, Leibschang J
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- [The effect of tobacco smoking on serum concentration of IGF-I and its binding proteins IGFBP-3 and IGFBP-4 in pregnant women].
- Authors: Chełchowska M, Gajewska J, Ambroszkiewicz J, Blumska-Janiak M, Maciejewski T, Laskowska-Klita T
- Issue date: 2010
- Association of serum retinol and carotenoids with insulin-like growth factors and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 among control subjects of a nested case-control study in the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study.
- Authors: Suzuki K, Ito Y, Hashimoto S, Kawado M, Inoue T, Ando M, Watanabe Y, Inaba Y, Tajima K, Nakachi K, Tamakoshi A, JACC Study Group.
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF) and IGF-binding protein levels and risk of lung cancer: a case-control study nested in the beta-Carotene and Retinol Efficacy Trial Cohort.
- Authors: Spitz MR, Barnett MJ, Goodman GE, Thornquist MD, Wu X, Pollak M
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-1 and -3 in aging men: relationships to insulin, glucose, IGF, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels and anthropometric measures.
- Authors: Benbassat CA, Maki KC, Unterman TG
- Issue date: 1997 May