AffiliationCRUK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK. Anthony.Howell@christie-tr.nwest.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is great interest among oncologists concerning what we might learn by examining the pattern of relapse after breast cancer surgery. What you see depends upon how hard you look. Up to now, investigators have examined the hazard ratio for relapse every 6-12 months. In a research paper, published in this issue of Breast Cancer Research, the Milan group have looked at the hazard ratio every three months and have found, for the first time, a distinct, very early peak of relapse in a group of premenopausal, node-positive patients not given chemotherapy or hormone therapy. What is now needed is for other groups to repeat this observation and, if found, to examine the characteristics of the tumours producing this phenomenon in order to develop hypotheses about its cause and possible treatments.
CitationAn early peak of relapse after surgery for breast cancer. 2004, 6 (6):255-7 Breast Cancer Res.
JournalBreast Cancer Research
- Menopausal status dependence of the timing of breast cancer recurrence after surgical removal of the primary tumour.
- Authors: Demicheli R, Bonadonna G, Hrushesky WJ, Retsky MW, Valagussa P
- Issue date: 2004
- Recurrence dynamics does not depend on the recurrence site.
- Authors: Demicheli R, Biganzoli E, Boracchi P, Greco M, Retsky MW
- Issue date: 2008
- Long-term results of breast conserving surgery for stages I and II breast cancer: experiences at Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases.
- Authors: Komoike Y, Motomura K, Inaji H, Kasugai T, Nose T, Koizumi M, Koyama H
- Issue date: 2002
- Patterns and predictors of early recurrence in postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive early breast cancer.
- Authors: Mansell J, Monypenny IJ, Skene AI, Abram P, Carpenter R, Gattuso JM, Wilson CR, Angerson WJ, Doughty JC
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Investigation of factors related to periods to ipsilateral breast tumor recurrence after breast-conserving surgery and measures for preventing recurrence in early breast cancer.
- Authors: Nishimura R, Akizuki M, Tashima R, Ootao R
- Issue date: 2006