Live birth with sperm cryopreserved for 21 years prior to cancer treatment: case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Reproductive Medicine, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester M13 0JH, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdvances in cancer treatment have led to significant improvements in the likelihood of reaching remission and long-term survival for men. Chemo- and radiotherapy-induced infertility are significant treatment side effects. Cryopreservation before the start of treatment enables sperm to be stored, thereby preserving the man's potential fertility. Here, we describe the successful use (with ICSI) of sperm cryopreserved prior to cancer treatment, for a total of 21 years. We believe this to be the longest period of sperm cryopreservation, resulting in a live birth, so far reported in the literature.
CitationLive birth with sperm cryopreserved for 21 years prior to cancer treatment: case report. 2004, 19 (6):1448-9 Hum. Reprod.
- Live birth following intracytoplasmic sperm injection after a 15-hour weather-related delay in cryopreservation of testicular sperm.
- Authors: Bhakoo HS, Vaccaro P, Crickard K, Sullivan MW
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Fertility of testicular cancer patients after anticancer treatment--experience of 11 years.
- Authors: Molnár Z, Berta E, Benyó M, Póka R, Kassai Z, Flaskó T, Jakab A, Bodor M
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Fertilization and pregnancy using cryopreserved testicular sperm for intracytoplasmic sperm injection with azoospermia.
- Authors: Ishikawa T, Shiotani M, Izumi Y, Hashimoto H, Kokeguchi S, Goto S, Fujisawa M
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Sperm cryopreservation and in vitro fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injection in men with congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens: a success story.
- Authors: Anger JT, Wang GJ, Boorjian SA, Goldstein M
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Normal birth after transfer of cryopreserved human embryos generated by microinjection of cryopreserved testicular spermatozoa into cryopreserved human oocytes.
- Authors: Levi Setti PE, Albani E, Novara PV, Cesana A, Bianchi S, Negri L
- Issue date: 2005 Apr