Incidence of cerebral metastases in patients treated with trastuzumab for metastatic breast cancer.
AuthorsClayton, Alison J
Ryder, W David J
Burt, Paul A
Stewart, Alan L
Wilkinson, Peter M
Wardley, Andrew M
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTrastuzumab is an effective treatment for patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC) that overexpresses HER-2. A high incidence of brain metastases (BM) has been noted in patients receiving trastuzumab. A retrospective chart review was conducted of 100 patients commencing trastuzumab for metastatic breast cancer from July 1999 to December 2002, at the Christie Hospital. Seven patients were excluded; five patients developed central nervous system metastases prior to starting trastuzumab, and inadequate data were available for two. Out of the remaining 93 patients, 23 (25%) have developed BM to date. In all, 46 patients have died, and of these 18 (39%) have been diagnosed with BM prior to death. Of the 23 patients developing BM, 18 (78%) were hormone receptor negative and 18 (78%) had visceral disease. Univariate analysis showed a significant association between the development of cerebral disease and both hormone receptor status and the presence of visceral disease. In conclusion, a high proportion of patients with MBC treated with trastuzumab develop symptomatic cerebral metastases. HER-2-positive breast cancer may have a predilection for the brain, or trastuzumab therapy may change the disease pattern by prolonging survival. New strategies to address this problem require investigation in this group of patients.
CitationIncidence of cerebral metastases in patients treated with trastuzumab for metastatic breast cancer. 2004, 91 (4):639-43 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Characteristics of patients with brain metastases receiving trastuzumab for HER2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Stemmler HJ, Kahlert S, Siekiera W, Untch M, Heinrich B, Heinemann V
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Central nervous system metastases in HER-2 positive metastatic breast cancer patients treated with trastuzumab: incidence, survival, and risk factors.
- Authors: Gori S, Rimondini S, De Angelis V, Colozza M, Bisagni G, Moretti G, Sidoni A, Basurto C, Aristei C, Anastasi P, Crinò L
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Central nervous system metastases in women who receive trastuzumab-based therapy for metastatic breast carcinoma.
- Authors: Bendell JC, Domchek SM, Burstein HJ, Harris L, Younger J, Kuter I, Bunnell C, Rue M, Gelman R, Winer E
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 15
- The risk of central nervous system metastases after trastuzumab therapy in patients with breast carcinoma.
- Authors: Lai R, Dang CT, Malkin MG, Abrey LE
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 15
- Central nervous system metastases in a cohort of metastatic breast cancer patients treated with trastuzumab.
- Authors: Montagna E, Cancello G, D'Agostino D, Lauria R, Forestieri V, Esposito A, Silvestro L, Accurso A, De Placido S, De Laurentiis M
- Issue date: 2009 Jan