Expression of the 5T4 oncofoetal antigen in renal cell carcinoma: a potential target for T-cell-based immunotherapy.
AuthorsGriffiths, Richard W
Gilham, David E
Ramani, Vijay A C
Clarke, Noel W
Stern, Peter L
Hawkins, Robert E
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Research Centre, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is a heavily glycosylated cell surface protein found on human placental trophoblast and on diverse types of human cancer but is not expressed at significant levels on adult human tissues in health. It therefore satisfies the criteria for a tumour-associated antigen and is an ideal target for the immunotherapy of cancer. We report here that 5T4 is strongly expressed on the majority of renal cell carcinomas and therefore this population of patients is suitable for trials of 5T4-targeted therapies. In particular, we have shown that T cells from renal cell carcinoma patients can be genetically modified to kill 5T4 expressing renal cancer cell lines by introduction of a chimeric-signalling protein. This protein consists of a single chain antibody fragment capable of binding antigen directly at the cell surface and then activating the T cell by virtue of a CD3zeta-signalling domain. This is a powerful tool that bypasses a number of mechanisms that allow tumours to escape T-cell killing and can be readily scaled up for clinical use.
CitationExpression of the 5T4 oncofoetal antigen in renal cell carcinoma: a potential target for T-cell-based immunotherapy. 2005, 93 (6):670-7 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Characterization of the murine 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: a target for immunotherapy in cancer.
- Authors: Woods AM, Wang WW, Shaw DM, Ward CM, Carroll MW, Rees BR, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 15
- 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: an attractive target for immune intervention in cancer.
- Authors: Stern PL, Harrop R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Overexpression and potential targeting of the oncofoetal antigen 5T4 in malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Authors: Al-Taei S, Salimu J, Lester JF, Linnane S, Goonewardena M, Harrop R, Mason MD, Tabi Z
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- The pattern of expression of the 5T4 oncofoetal antigen on normal, dysplastic and malignant oral mucosa.
- Authors: Ali A, Langdon J, Stern P, Partridge M
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- Isolation of a high affinity scFv from a monoclonal antibody recognising the oncofoetal antigen 5T4.
- Authors: Shaw DM, Embleton MJ, Westwater C, Ryan MG, Myers KA, Kingsman SM, Carroll MW, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2000 Dec 15