Differential radiosensitisation by ZD1839 (Iressa), a highly selective epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor in two related bladder cancer cell lines.
AffiliationCancer Research-UK Carcinogenesis Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is expressed in a wide variety of epithelial tumours including carcinoma of the bladder. Stimulation of the EGFR pathway is blocked by ZD1839 (Iressa), a highly selective EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Radical radiotherapy is an established organ sparing treatment option for muscle invasive bladder cancer and this study has explored the possibility for the use of ZD1839 as a radiosensitiser in this scenario. The effect of combination treatment with ZD1839 (0.01 microM) and ionising radiation in the established bladder cancer cell lines MGH-U1 and its radiosensitive mutant clone S40b was measured by clonogenic assays. A highly significant radiosensitising effect was seen in both cell lines (P < 0.001 for MGH-U1 and S40b cell lines). This effect was independent of the concentration of the drug and the duration of exposure prior to treatment with ionising radiation. Cell cycle kinetics of both cell lines was not significantly altered with ZD1839 (0.01 microM) as a single agent. A modest induction of apoptosis was observed with ZD1839 (0.01 microM) as a single agent, but a marked induction was observed with the combination treatment of ZD1839 and ionising radiation. These results suggest a potentially important role for ZD1839 in combination with radiotherapy in the treatment of muscle invasive bladder cancer.
CitationDifferential radiosensitisation by ZD1839 (Iressa), a highly selective epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor in two related bladder cancer cell lines. 2005, 92 (1):125-30 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (HER1) tyrosine kinase inhibitor ZD1839 (Iressa) inhibits HER2/neu (erbB2)-overexpressing breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivo.
- Authors: Moulder SL, Yakes FM, Muthuswamy SK, Bianco R, Simpson JF, Arteaga CL
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 15
- Suppression of epidermal growth factor receptor, mitogen-activated protein kinase, and Pak1 pathways and invasiveness of human cutaneous squamous cancer cells by the tyrosine kinase inhibitor ZD1839 (Iressa).
- Authors: Barnes CJ, Bagheri-Yarmand R, Mandal M, Yang Z, Clayman GL, Hong WK, Kumar R
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- The effects of ZD1839 (Iressa), a highly selective EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor, as a radiosensitiser in bile duct carcinoma cell lines.
- Authors: Miyata H, Sasaki T, Kuwahara K, Serikawa M, Chayama K
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Modulation of radiation response and tumor-induced angiogenesis after epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition by ZD1839 (Iressa).
- Authors: Huang SM, Li J, Armstrong EA, Harari PM
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 1
- Enhancement of antitumor activity of ionizing radiation by combined treatment with the selective epidermal growth factor receptor-tyrosine kinase inhibitor ZD1839 (Iressa).
- Authors: Bianco C, Tortora G, Bianco R, Caputo R, Veneziani BM, Caputo R, Damiano V, Troiani T, Fontanini G, Raben D, Pepe S, Bianco AR, Ciardiello F
- Issue date: 2002 Oct