AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. Fiona.Blackhall@christie-tr.nwest.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractErlotinib (Tarceva, OSI-774; Pfizer, Inc.) is an orally-active, targeted inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR/HER1), which is part of a key regulatory pathway in cancer. Patients with advanced, incurable non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) may derive a clinical benefit from first- and second-line chemotherapy, but third-line treatment with available cytotoxic agents is not effective. Remarkably, EGFR/HER1 antagonists have demonstrated activity as second- and even third-line treatment for this disease. Erlotinib is the first of this novel class of drug to demonstrate a statistically significant and clinically relevant difference in overall survival, progression free survival and time to disease related symptoms (cough, pain, shortness of breath) compared with treatment with best supportive care in patients who have failed standard first- or second-line chemotherapy. This paper reviews the pharmacology, preclinical and clinical data to support the use of erlotinib in NSCLC.
CitationErlotinib in non-small cell lung cancer: a review. 2005, 6 (6):995-1002 Expert Opin Pharmacother
JournalExpert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy
- Erlotinib: small-molecule targeted therapy in the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Smith J
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Efficacy and safety of maintenance erlotinib in Asian patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a subanalysis of the phase III, randomized SATURN study.
- Authors: Wu YL, Kim JH, Park K, Zaatar A, Klingelschmitt G, Ng C
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- FDA drug approval summary: erlotinib (Tarceva) tablets.
- Authors: Cohen MH, Johnson JR, Chen YF, Sridhara R, Pazdur R
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Comparison of gefitinib versus erlotinib in patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer who failed previous chemotherapy.
- Authors: Kim ST, Lee J, Kim JH, Won YW, Sun JM, Yun J, Park YH, Ahn JS, Park K, Ahn MJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 15
- Erlotinib in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Gridelli C, Rossi A, Maione P, Colantuoni G, Del Gaizo F, Ferrara C, Nicolella D, Guerriero C
- Issue date: 2007 Oct