AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. Fiona.Blackhall@christie-tr.nwest.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractErlotinib (Tarceva, OSI-774; Pfizer, Inc.) is an orally-active, targeted inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR/HER1), which is part of a key regulatory pathway in cancer. Patients with advanced, incurable non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) may derive a clinical benefit from first- and second-line chemotherapy, but third-line treatment with available cytotoxic agents is not effective. Remarkably, EGFR/HER1 antagonists have demonstrated activity as second- and even third-line treatment for this disease. Erlotinib is the first of this novel class of drug to demonstrate a statistically significant and clinically relevant difference in overall survival, progression free survival and time to disease related symptoms (cough, pain, shortness of breath) compared with treatment with best supportive care in patients who have failed standard first- or second-line chemotherapy. This paper reviews the pharmacology, preclinical and clinical data to support the use of erlotinib in NSCLC.
CitationErlotinib in non-small cell lung cancer: a review. 2005, 6 (6):995-1002 Expert Opin Pharmacother
JournalExpert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy
- First-line treatment of advanced epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mutation positive non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Greenhalgh J, Dwan K, Boland A, Bates V, Vecchio F, Dundar Y, Jain P, Green JA
- Issue date: 2016 May 25
- Erlotinib and gefitinib for treating non-small cell lung cancer that has progressed following prior chemotherapy (review of NICE technology appraisals 162 and 175): a systematic review and economic evaluation.
- Authors: Greenhalgh J, Bagust A, Boland A, Dwan K, Beale S, Hockenhull J, Proudlove C, Dundar Y, Richardson M, Dickson R, Mullard A, Marshall E
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Erlotinib: CP 358774, NSC 718781, OSI 774, R 1415.
- Authors: Adis International Ltd.
- Issue date: 2003
- Clinical utility of epidermal growth factor receptor expression for selecting patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer for treatment with erlotinib.
- Authors: Clark GM, Zborowski DM, Culbertson JL, Whitehead M, Savoie M, Seymour L, Shepherd FA
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Erlotinib as maintenance treatment in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled phase 3 study.
- Authors: Cappuzzo F, Ciuleanu T, Stelmakh L, Cicenas S, Szczésna A, Juhász E, Esteban E, Molinier O, Brugger W, Melezínek I, Klingelschmitt G, Klughammer B, Giaccone G, SATURN investigators.
- Issue date: 2010 Jun