Neuroendocrine differentiation in non-small cell lung cancer and its relation to prognosis and therapy.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, South Manchester University Hospital, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: Histopathologists report the presence of neuroendocrine (NE) differentiation in non-small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) in up to a third of cases and are often questioned about its clinical relevance. The conclusions of previous studies have been inconsistent. This paper aims to provide an answer by examining a large series together with a comprehensive critique of the literature. METHODS AND RESULTS: Four hundred and thirty-nine cases of NSCLC were examined, immunohistochemically, using antibodies to chromogranin A (CGA), synaptophysin (SYN) and CD56/neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM). Three hundred and forty-one cases had been treated with surgical resection and the remainder with chemotherapy. The results were compared with clinical outcome. Thity-six percent of cases had positive staining for at least one NE marker. CGA was positive in 5.5% of cases, SYN in 16.5% and NCAM in 28%. There was no association between the presence of NE markers and survival in either the surgically treated group or the chemotherapy-treated group. There was also no association between NE markers and response to chemotherapy in the latter group. CONCLUSIONS: The presence of immunohistochemically detected NE differentiation in NSCLC is not of prognostic significance.
CitationNeuroendocrine differentiation in non-small cell lung cancer and its relation to prognosis and therapy. 2005, 46 (2):195-201 Histopathology
- Prognostic implications of neuroendocrine differentiation and hormone production in patients with Stage I nonsmall cell lung carcinoma.
- Authors: Pelosi G, Pasini F, Sonzogni A, Maffini F, Maisonneuve P, Iannucci A, Terzi A, De Manzoni G, Bresaola E, Viale G
- Issue date: 2003 May 15
- Nonsmall cell lung carcinoma with neuroendocrine differentiation--an entity of no clinical or prognostic significance.
- Authors: Ionescu DN, Treaba D, Gilks CB, Leung S, Renouf D, Laskin J, Wood-Baker R, Gown AM
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Expression of neuroendocrine markers in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Sørhaug S, Steinshamn S, Haaverstad R, Nordrum IS, Martinsen TC, Waldum HL
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- [Detection of neuroendocrine differentiation in NSCLC and its clinical significance].
- Authors: Ouyang N, Chen G, Ding J
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- NCAM (neural cell adhesion molecules) expression in malignant mesotheliomas.
- Authors: Lantuéjoul S, Laverrière MH, Sturm N, Moro D, Frey G, Brambilla C, Brambilla E
- Issue date: 2000 Apr