Shared governance and shared leadership: meeting the challenges of implementation.
AffiliationNursing Administration, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNew forms of leadership are required if staff are to be effectively engaged and involved in decision-making and promoting clinical effectiveness. One such mechanism is shared governance and shared leadership to ensure practice is both practitioner owned and organizationally supported. Empowering staff is a great challenge requiring effective planning, preparation and commitment. Establishing the process of shared governance requires effective leadership, implementation of a suitable framework, multidisciplinary working and examination of the organization's structure and culture. This paper discusses the challenges of implementation, preparation of staff, and alignment with the organizational agenda. It emphasizes that shared governance is an ongoing and fluid process, requiring continual assessment and re-evaluation in order to be flexible and responsive to an ever-changing environment. The Christie model provides a sustainable framework for moving practice forward and successful implementation has led to greater coordination of practice development and sharing of best practice.
CitationShared governance and shared leadership: meeting the challenges of implementation. 2005, 13 (1):4-12 J Nurs Manag
JournalJournal of Nursing Management
- Shared governance: making the transition in practice and perception.
- Authors: Dunbar B, Park B, Berger-Wesley M, Cameron T, Lorenz BT, Mayes D, Ashby R
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Multidisciplinary shared leadership.
- Authors: Perry JM
- Issue date: 2000 May-Jun
- Work-based learning: a leadership development example from an action research study of shared governance implementation.
- Authors: Williamson T
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Implementing shared governance: a false start.
- Authors: Hibberd JM, Storoz CE, Andrews HA
- Issue date: 1992 Mar
- Shared governance: a strategy for transforming organizations. Part 2.
- Authors: Peterson ME, Allen DG
- Issue date: 1986 Feb