Foci of amorphous/granulofilamentous matrix in the extracellular domain of tumours. 2. Immunohistochemical and immunogold characterization of a fibronectin-rich matrix component.
AuthorsEyden, Brian P
Shanks, Jonathan H
Banerjee, Saumitra S
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe term FEAM (foci of extracellular amorphous matrix) has been used for discretely outlined areas of moderately dense material having a filamentous/granular substructure located in the extracellular matrix of tumours. In spite of being widespread in mesenchymal tumours especially, and often abundant, they have received little attention in terms of structure, composition and origin. Mostly, they have been regarded as a variant or a product of lamina ('basement membrane material'). However, they also appear in tumours whose cells should and do lack a lamina, such as giant-cell fibroblastoma and solitary fibrous tumour. This paper describes their fine structure in a variety of predominantly mesenchymal tumours, and documents their composition using light microscope immunostaining and immunogold labelling. Small amounts of type IV collagen and laminin were found focally and inconsistently among the five tumours by light microscope immunostaining, but fibronectin was strongly and consistently identified. Strong fibronectin staining was also identified by immuno-electronmicroscopy. These data suggest that FEAM represent a fibronectin-rich matrix constituent, which might be a common final product of either lamina or the external component of the subplasmalemmal linear density (focal adhesion). There is little support light microscopically for a relationship to immune-complexes or cryoglobulins.
CitationFoci of amorphous/granulofilamentous matrix in the extracellular domain of tumours. 2. Immunohistochemical and immunogold characterization of a fibronectin-rich matrix component. 2005, 37 (1):1-11 J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Submicroscopic Cytology and Pathology
- Foci of amorphous/granulofilamentous matrix in the extracellular domain of tumours: a study of 34 cases. 1. Ultrastructural characterisation.
- Authors: Eyden B, Ru Y
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Giant-cell fibroblastoma: a case report emphasising the presence of hyperplastic subplasmalemmal linear densities in continuity with granular matrices in the extracellular space.
- Authors: Eyden B, Yamazaki K, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Characterisation of breast stromal fibroblasts: cell surface distribution of collagen type IV, laminin and fibronectin.
- Authors: Yamazaki K, Eyden BP
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Immunohistochemical study of the extracellular matrix proteins laminin, fibronectin and type IV collagen in secretory meningiomas.
- Authors: Caffo M, Caruso G, Galatioto S, Meli F, Cacciola F, Germanò A, Alafaci C, Tomasello F
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy of early-onset fuchs corneal dystrophy in three cases with the same L450W COL8A2 mutation.
- Authors: Zhang C, Bell WR, Sundin OH, De La Cruz Z, Stark WJ, Green WR, Gottsch JD
- Issue date: 2006