Radiation therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: treatment planning and delivery in the 21st century.
AffiliationAcademic Department of Radiation Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdvances in radiation treatment planning, verification, and delivery provide a means to optimize radiation treatment for bladder cancer and overcome difficulties which have previously limited the success of this treatment. They offer the opportunity to enhance the therapeutic ratio by reducing the volume of normal tissue irradiated and by increasing radiation dose or using more intensive fractionation and synchronous chemotherapy regimes. In this review, we aim to present a practical overview of radiation protocols for bladder cancer, covering issues relating to patient selection, choice of target volumes, verification, dose, and fractionation. Alternative methods of improving treatment accuracy such as image-guided radiotherapy and intensity modulated radiotherapy are also discussed.
CitationRadiation therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: treatment planning and delivery in the 21st century. 2005, 15 (1):42-8 Semin Radiat Oncol
JournalSeminars in Radiation Oncology
- Radiotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer: the latest research progress and clinical application.
- Authors: Zhang S, Yu YH, Zhang Y, Qu W, Li J
- Issue date: 2015
- Prospective Study Delivering Simultaneous Integrated High-dose Tumor Boost (≤70 Gy) With Image Guided Adaptive Radiation Therapy for Radical Treatment of Localized Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer.
- Authors: Hafeez S, Warren-Oseni K, McNair HA, Hansen VN, Jones K, Tan M, Khan A, Harris V, McDonald F, Lalondrelle S, Mohammed K, Thomas K, Thompson A, Kumar P, Dearnaley D, Horwich A, Huddart R
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 1
- Offline adaptive radiotherapy for bladder cancer using cone beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Foroudi F, Wong J, Haworth A, Baille A, McAlpine J, Rolfo A, Kron T, Roxby P, Paneghel A, Williams S, Duchesne G, Tai KH
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Radiation therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: treatment planning and delivery.
- Authors: Logue J, McBain CA
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Online adaptive radiotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: results of a pilot study.
- Authors: Foroudi F, Wong J, Kron T, Rolfo A, Haworth A, Roxby P, Thomas J, Herschtal A, Pham D, Williams S, Tai KH, Duchesne G
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 1