IMRT treatment planning:- a comparative inter-system and inter-centre planning exercise of the ESTRO QUASIMODO group.
De Wagter, Carlos
Mijnheer, Ben J
Perrin, Bruce A
Williams, Peter C
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Charité Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: The purpose of this work was a comparison of realistic IMRT plans based on the same CT-image data set and a common predefined set of dose objectives for the planning target volume and the organs at risk. This work was part of the larger European QUASIMODO IMRT verification project. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Eleven IMRT plans were produced by nine different European groups, each applying a representative set of clinically used IMRT treatment planning systems. The plans produced were to be deliverable in a clinically acceptable treatment time with the local technical equipment. All plans were characterized using a set of different quality measures such as dose-volume histograms, number of monitor units and treatment time. RESULTS: Only one plan was able to fulfil all dose objectives strictly; six plans failed some of the objectives but were still considered to be clinically acceptable; four plans were not able to reach the objectives. Additional quality scores such as the number of monitor units and treatment time showed large variations, which mainly depend on the delivery technique. CONCLUSION: The presented planning study showed that with nearly all presently available IMRT planning and delivery systems comparable dose distributions could be achieved if the planning goals are clearly defined in advance.
CitationIMRT treatment planning:- a comparative inter-system and inter-centre planning exercise of the ESTRO QUASIMODO group. 2005, 76 (3):354-61 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- An inter-centre quality assurance network for IMRT verification: results of the ESTRO QUASIMODO project.
- Authors: Gillis S, De Wagter C, Bohsung J, Perrin B, Williams P, Mijnheer BJ
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Simultaneous beam geometry and intensity map optimization in intensity-modulated radiation therapy.
- Authors: Lee EK, Fox T, Crocker I
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 1
- Treatment plan comparison between helical tomotherapy and MLC-based IMRT using radiobiological measures.
- Authors: Mavroidis P, Ferreira BC, Shi C, Lind BK, Papanikolaou N
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 7
- Clinical evaluation of monitor unit software and the application of action levels.
- Authors: Georg D, Nyholm T, Olofsson J, Kjaer-Kristoffersen F, Schnekenburger B, Winkler P, Nyström H, Ahnesjö A, Karlsson M
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- A feasibility study of using conventional jaws to deliver IMRT plans in the treatment of prostate cancer.
- Authors: Kim Y, Verhey LJ, Xia P
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 21