An inter-centre quality assurance network for IMRT verification: results of the ESTRO QUASIMODO project.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Ghent University Hospital, Gent, Belgium. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: IMRT necessitates extension of existing inter-centre quality assurance programs due to its increased complexity. We assessed the feasibility of an inter-centre verification method for different IMRT techniques. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Eight European radiotherapy institutions of the QUASIMODO network, have designed an IMRT plan for a horseshoe-shaped PTV surrounding a cylindrical OAR in a simplified pelvic phantom. All centres applied common plan objectives but used their own equipment for planning and delivery. They verified the delivery of this plan according to a common protocol with radiographic film and ionisation chamber measurements. The irradiated films, the results of the ionisation chamber measurements and the computed dose distributions were sent to one analysis centre that compared the measured and computed dose distributions with the gamma method and composite dose-area histograms. RESULTS: 4% (relative to the prescribed dose) and 3mm (distance-to-agreement) were decided feasible gamma criteria. The composite dose-area histograms showed a maximum local deviation of 3.5% in the mean dose of the PTV and 5% in the OAR. Systematic differences could be identified, and in some cases explained. CONCLUSIONS: This multi-centre dosimetric verification study demonstrated both the feasibility of a multi-centre quality assurance network to evaluate any IMRT planning and delivery system combination, as well as the validity of the methodology involved.
CitationAn inter-centre quality assurance network for IMRT verification: results of the ESTRO QUASIMODO project. 2005, 76 (3):340-53 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- IMRT treatment planning:- a comparative inter-system and inter-centre planning exercise of the ESTRO QUASIMODO group.
- Authors: Bohsung J, Gillis S, Arrans R, Bakai A, De Wagter C, Knöös T, Mijnheer BJ, Paiusco M, Perrin BA, Welleweerd H, Williams P
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Dosimetric quality assurance for intensity-modulated radiotherapy feasibility study for a filmless approach.
- Authors: Wiezorek T, Banz N, Schwedas M, Scheithauer M, Salz H, Georg D, Wendt TG
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Experimental measurements and Monte Carlo simulations for dosimetric evaluations of intrafraction motion for gated and ungated intensity modulated arc therapy deliveries.
- Authors: Oliver M, Gladwish A, Staruch R, Craig J, Gaede S, Chen J, Wong E
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 21
- Volumetric intensity-modulated arc therapy vs. conventional IMRT in head-and-neck cancer: a comparative planning and dosimetric study.
- Authors: Verbakel WF, Cuijpers JP, Hoffmans D, Bieker M, Slotman BJ, Senan S
- Issue date: 2009 May 1
- Treatment plan comparison between helical tomotherapy and MLC-based IMRT using radiobiological measures.
- Authors: Mavroidis P, Ferreira BC, Shi C, Lind BK, Papanikolaou N
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 7