Phase III study of 5FU, etoposide and leucovorin (FELV) compared to epirubicin, cisplatin and 5FU (ECF) in previously untreated patients with advanced biliary cancer.
Hawkins, Robert E
Hill, M E
Ross, P J
Oates, Jeremy E
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Royal Marsden Hospital, Downs Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5PT, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to determine whether epirubicin, cisplatin and infused 5FU (ECF) improves overall survival (OS) compared to 5FU, etoposide and leucovorin (FELV) in patients with previously untreated advanced biliary cancer in a prospective randomised study. Patients were randomly assigned to receive epirubicin, cisplatin and infused 5FU ECF or bolus 5FU etoposide and leucovorin (FELV). The primary end point was OS with secondary end points of objective response rate (ORR), failure-free survival (FFS), quality of life (QOL) and toxicity. In all, 54 patients were recruited with 27 randomly assigned to each arm. The median OS for ECF was 9.02 months (95% confidence interval (CI): 6.46-11.51) and FELV 12.03 months (95% CI: 9.3-14.7), P=0.2059. Objective response rates were similar for both arms: ECF 19.2% (95% CI: 6.55-39.3); FELV 15% (95% CI: 3.2-37.9), P=0.72. There was significantly increased grade 3/4 neutropenia with FELV vs ECF (53.8 vs 29.5%, respectively, P=0.020). Symptom resolution was impressive for both regimens. This is the largest reported randomised study to date in this setting. ECF did not improve OS compared to FELV, but was associated with less acute toxicity. These data suggest that chemotherapy can prolong OS and achieve good symptomatic relief in advanced biliary cancer.
CitationPhase III study of 5FU, etoposide and leucovorin (FELV) compared to epirubicin, cisplatin and 5FU (ECF) in previously untreated patients with advanced biliary cancer. 2005, 92 (9):1650-4 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- The efficacy of epirubicin, cisplatin, uracil/tegafur, and leucovorin in patients with advanced biliary tract carcinoma.
- Authors: Park KH, Choi IK, Kim SJ, Oh SC, Seo JH, Choi CW, Kim BS, Shin SW, Kim YH, Kim JS
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 1
- A randomised phase II trial of weekly high-dose 5-fluorouracil with and without folinic acid and cisplatin in patients with advanced biliary tract carcinoma: results of the 40955 EORTC trial.
- Authors: Ducreux M, Van Cutsem E, Van Laethem JL, Gress TM, Jeziorski K, Rougier P, Wagener T, Anak O, Baron B, Nordlinger B, EORTC Gastro Intestinal Tract Cancer Group.
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Phase III trial in metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma with fluorouracil, leucovorin plus either oxaliplatin or cisplatin: a study of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie.
- Authors: Al-Batran SE, Hartmann JT, Probst S, Schmalenberg H, Hollerbach S, Hofheinz R, Rethwisch V, Seipelt G, Homann N, Wilhelm G, Schuch G, Stoehlmacher J, Derigs HG, Hegewisch-Becker S, Grossmann J, Pauligk C, Atmaca A, Bokemeyer C, Knuth A, Jäger E, Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie.
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 20
- Efficient palliation in patients with small-cell lung cancer by a combination of paclitaxel, etoposide and carboplatin: quality of life and 6-years'-follow-up results from a randomised phase III trial.
- Authors: Reck M, von Pawel J, Macha HN, Kaukel E, Deppermann KM, Bonnet R, Ulm K, Hessler S, Gatzemeier U
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Long-term survival after epirubicin, cisplatin and fluorouracil for gastric cancer: results of a randomized trial.
- Authors: Waters JS, Norman A, Cunningham D, Scarffe JH, Webb A, Harper P, Joffe JK, Mackean M, Mansi J, Leahy M, Hill A, Oates J, Rao S, Nicolson M, Hickish T
- Issue date: 1999 Apr