Is there a common aetiology for certain childhood malignancies? Results of cross-space-time clustering analyses.
AffiliationSir James Spence Institute, Level 4, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Queen Victoria Road, Newcastle NE1 4LP, UK. Richard.McNally@ncl.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe previously demonstrated significant space-time clustering amongst cases of childhood leukaemia (in particular acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL)), central nervous system (CNS) tumour (especially astrocytoma), soft tissue sarcoma and Wilms' tumour. We hypothesised that there may be common aetiological mechanisms between some of these diagnostic groups. To test this hypothesis we analysed for cross-space-time clustering between these diagnostic groups, using population-based data from north-west England. Data were examined by a second-order procedure based on K-functions. Reference points in time and space were dates and addresses at birth and diagnosis. The results showed statistically significant (P < 0.05) cross-clustering between cases of leukaemia and CNS tumour and between cases of ALL and astrocytoma. There was no statistically significant cross-clustering of Wilms' tumours and soft tissue sarcomas with any other malignancy. In conclusion, these findings are consistent with common, possibly infectious, aetiological mechanisms for childhood leukaemia (particularly ALL) and CNS tumours (particularly astrocytoma).
CitationIs there a common aetiology for certain childhood malignancies? Results of cross-space-time clustering analyses. 2005, 41 (18):2911-6 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Further clues concerning the aetiology of childhood central nervous system tumours.
- Authors: McNally RJ, Alston RD, Eden TO, Kelsey AM, Birch JM
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Bayesian methods for early detection of changes in childhood cancer incidence: trends for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia are consistent with an infectious aetiology.
- Authors: Maule MM, Zuccolo L, Magnani C, Pastore G, Dalmasso P, Pearce N, Merletti F, Gregori D
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Childhood leukaemias and CNS tumours: correlation of international incidence rates.
- Authors: Hepworth SJ, Feltbower RG, McKinney PA
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Space-time clustering patterns in childhood solid tumours other than central nervous system tumours.
- Authors: McNally RJ, Kelsey AM, Eden OB, Alexander FE, Cairns DP, Birch JM
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 10
- Evidence of space-time clustering of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in Sweden.
- Authors: Gustafsson B, Carstensen J
- Issue date: 1999 Feb