Quantitative analysis of patient-specific dosimetric IMRT verification.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatient-specific dosimetric verification methods for IMRT treatments are variable, time-consuming and frequently qualitative, preventing evidence-based reduction in the amount of verification performed. This paper addresses some of these issues by applying a quantitative analysis parameter to the dosimetric verification procedure. Film measurements in different planes were acquired for a series of ten IMRT prostate patients, analysed using the quantitative parameter, and compared to determine the most suitable verification plane. Film and ion chamber verification results for 61 patients were analysed to determine long-term accuracy, reproducibility and stability of the planning and delivery system. The reproducibility of the measurement and analysis system was also studied. The results show that verification results are strongly dependent on the plane chosen, with the coronal plane particularly insensitive to delivery error. Unexpectedly, no correlation could be found between the levels of error in different verification planes. Longer term verification results showed consistent patterns which suggest that the amount of patient-specific verification can be safely reduced, provided proper caution is exercised: an evidence-based model for such reduction is proposed. It is concluded that dose/distance to agreement (e.g., 3%/3 mm) should be used as a criterion of acceptability. Quantitative parameters calculated for a given criterion of acceptability should be adopted in conjunction with displays that show where discrepancies occur. Planning and delivery systems which cannot meet the required standards of accuracy, reproducibility and stability to reduce verification will not be accepted by the radiotherapy community.
CitationQuantitative analysis of patient-specific dosimetric IMRT verification. 2005, 50 (1):103-19 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Clinical experience with EPID dosimetry for prostate IMRT pre-treatment dose verification.
- Authors: McDermott LN, Wendling M, van Asselen B, Stroom J, Sonke JJ, van Herk M, Mijnheer BJ
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Microionization chamber for reference dosimetry in IMRT verification: clinical implications on OAR dosimetric errors.
- Authors: Sánchez-Doblado F, Capote R, Leal A, Roselló JV, Lagares JI, Arráns R, Hartmann GH
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 7
- Detection of IMRT delivery errors using a quantitative 2D dosimetric verification system.
- Authors: Childress NL, Bloch C, White RA, Salehpour M, Rosen II
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- IMRT delivery verification using a spiral phantom.
- Authors: Richardson SL, Tomé WA, Orton NP, McNutt TR, Paliwal BR
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Performance analysis of a film dosimetric quality assurance procedure for IMRT with regard to the employment of quantitative evaluation methods.
- Authors: Winkler P, Zurl B, Guss H, Kindl P, Stuecklschweiger G
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 21