AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis cross-sectional study aimed to identify key concerns of cancer patients receiving in-patient chemotherapy, determine the prevalence of anxiety and depression, and assess whether ward nurses could identify patients' concerns. Thirty-three women on a chemotherapy ward in the northwest of England who had breast, ovarian, cervical or uterine cancer were interviewed using a Concerns Checklist and the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Patients expressed an average of 10.3 concerns (range: 2-27). Eighty percent of these were not identified by the nurses, who showed a clear bias towards physical symptoms and treatment-related concerns. The nurses were unable to identify the three main concerns in 70% of patients. Twenty-four percent of patients were found to be probable cases of anxiety and/or depression; there was a moderate correlation between the number of concerns and levels of anxiety and depression. Given the body of evidence that lack of identification of concerns leads to unmet needs, increased psychological distress, dissatisfaction with care and possible complaints, this study has provided clear evidence for the need to address this key area of care, and has highlighted the potential of the Concerns Checklist in busy clinical environments.
CitationIdentifying the concerns of women undergoing chemotherapy. 2005, 56 (1):72-7 Patient Educ Couns
JournalPatient Education and Counseling
- An examination of distress, sleep, and fatigue in metastatic breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Mosher CE, Duhamel KN
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Health-related quality of life in early breast cancer.
- Authors: Groenvold M
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- A longitudinal study of distress (depression and anxiety) up to 18 months after radiotherapy for head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Neilson K, Pollard A, Boonzaier A, Corry J, Castle D, Smith D, Trauer T, Couper J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Somatic symptoms explain differences in psychological distress in heart failure patients vs a comparison group.
- Authors: Redeker NS
- Issue date: 2006 Fall
- Body image and its predictors in breast cancer patients receiving surgery.
- Authors: Chen CL, Liao MN, Chen SC, Chan PL, Chen SC
- Issue date: 2012 Sep-Oct