Radical radiotherapy alone for glomus jugulare and tympanicum tumours.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe management of glomus jugulare and tympanicum tumours is controversial due the long natural history and morbidity associated with intervention. We report the experience of radical radiotherapy (RT) alone for these tumours. Between 1965 and 1987, 49 patients received RT. Median age at presentation was 55 years (range, 23-82). Common presentations were deafness in 27 patients, tinnitus in 25 and cranial nerve palsies in 18. RT was given as a 2D simulator-planned wedge pair in the majority with a median dose of 45 Gy (range, 37.5-50.0) in 15 or 16 fractions over 21 days (range, 20-26). Median follow-up was 7.4 years (range, 2.0-23.4). At 6 months post-RT, complete clinical response was seen in 38 patients, partial response in 4, no response in 1 and no data were available for 6. At both 5 and 10 years, 92% of patients were recurrence-free and cancer-specific survival was 96%. There were no reports of radionecrosis. Although tumour eradication is not the aim, RT can achieve good local control, survival and symptom relief without the significant morbidity that can be associated with radical surgery. Therefore, RT alone has a significant role in the management of these tumours.
CitationRadical radiotherapy alone for glomus jugulare and tympanicum tumours. 2005, 14 (6):1631-3 Oncol. Rep.
- [Diagnosis and therapy of glomus tympanicum and glomus jugulare tumors].
- Authors: Liu JF, Ni DF, Gao ZQ, Xu CX, Li WY, Chen XM
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- [The jugulotympanic paragangliomas: 41 cases report].
- Authors: Nguyen DQ, Boulat E, Troussier J, Reyt EI, Lavieille JP, Schmerber SI
- Issue date: 2005
- Gamma knife radiosurgery for glomus jugulare and tympanicum.
- Authors: Lee CC, Pan DH, Wu JC, Chung WY, Wu HM, Yang HC, Liu KD, Guo WY, Shih YH
- Issue date: 2011
- Function-preserving therapy for jugulotympanic paragangliomas: a retrospective analysis from 2000 to 2010.
- Authors: Künzel J, Iro H, Hornung J, Koch M, Brase C, Klautke G, Zenk J
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Radiotherapy in glomus tumours (paragangliomas). A 25 year-review.
- Authors: Hansen HS, Thomsen KA
- Issue date: 1988