A randomised controlled trial of pre-operative chemotherapy followed, if feasible, by resection versus radiotherapy in patients with inoperable stage T3, N1, M0 or T1-3, N2, M0 non-small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationCancer Division, Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Unit, 222 Euston Road, London NW1 2DA, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe majority of patients with stage T3, N1, M0 or T1-3, N2, M0 non-small cell lung cancer are considered inoperable, and receive radical radiotherapy. This randomised trial aimed to assess whether, in this group of inoperable patients, a policy of neo-adjuvant chemotherapy (with mitomycin, ifosfamide and cisplatin (MIC) or mitomycin, vinblastine and cisplatin (MVP)) followed, if feasible, by surgery (CT-S), would result in better outcomes than radical radiotherapy (RT). The trial closed due to poor accrual, with only 48 patients randomised in 3 years. Only 4 of the 24 patients in the CT-S group had a complete resection, and of these, the 2 patients who had a pneumonectomy both died 12 days after surgery. There was no evidence of an improved survival in the CT-S group (median survival 13.8 months, compared with 11.3 months for the RT group), but because the trial failed to recruit we were unable to reach any reliable conclusions about these two treatment options.
CitationA randomised controlled trial of pre-operative chemotherapy followed, if feasible, by resection versus radiotherapy in patients with inoperable stage T3, N1, M0 or T1-3, N2, M0 non-small cell lung cancer. 2005, 49 (3):395-400 Lung Cancer
- Chemotherapy for patients with non-small cell lung cancer: the surgical setting of the Big Lung Trial.
- Authors: Waller D, Peake MD, Stephens RJ, Gower NH, Milroy R, Parmar MK, Rudd RM, Spiro SG
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Randomized controlled trial of resection versus radiotherapy after induction chemotherapy in stage IIIA-N2 non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: van Meerbeeck JP, Kramer GW, Van Schil PE, Legrand C, Smit EF, Schramel F, Tjan-Heijnen VC, Biesma B, Debruyne C, van Zandwijk N, Splinter TA, Giaccone G, European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer-Lung Cancer Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 21
- An ongoing randomized study of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in resectable non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Depierre A, Milleron B, Lebeau B, Moro D, Chastang C, Jacoulet P, Paillot N, Quoix E, Janicot H, Lombard JN
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Comparison of neoadjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy versus radiochemotherapy followed by resection for stage III (N2) NSCLC.
- Authors: Pezzetta E, Stupp R, Zouhair A, Guillou L, Taffé P, von Briel C, Krueger T, Ris HB
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Concurrent cisplatin/etoposide plus 3D-conformal radiotherapy followed by surgery for stage IIB (superior sulcus T3N0)/III non-small cell lung cancer yields a high rate of pathological complete response.
- Authors: Pourel N, Santelmo N, Naafa N, Serre A, Hilgers W, Mineur L, Molinari N, Reboul F
- Issue date: 2008 May