Reduction of total E2F/DP activity induces senescence-like cell cycle arrest in cancer cells lacking functional pRB and p53.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, England, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractE2F/DP complexes were originally identified as potent transcriptional activators required for cell proliferation. However, recent studies revised this notion by showing that inactivation of total E2F/DP activity by dominant-negative forms of E2F or DP does not prevent cellular proliferation, but rather abolishes tumor suppression pathways, such as cellular senescence. These observations suggest that blockage of total E2F/DP activity may increase the risk of cancer. Here, we provide evidence that depletion of DP by RNA interference, but not overexpression of dominant-negative form of E2F, efficiently reduces endogenous E2F/DP activity in human primary cells. Reduction of total E2F/DP activity results in a dramatic decrease in expression of many E2F target genes and causes a senescence-like cell cycle arrest. Importantly, similar results were observed in human cancer cells lacking functional p53 and pRB family proteins. These findings reveal that E2F/DP activity is indeed essential for cell proliferation and its reduction immediately provokes a senescence-like cell cycle arrest.
CitationReduction of total E2F/DP activity induces senescence-like cell cycle arrest in cancer cells lacking functional pRB and p53. 2005, 168 (4):553-60 J. Cell Biol.
JournalThe Journal of Cell Biology
- E2F activity is essential for survival of Myc-overexpressing human cancer cells.
- Authors: Santoni-Rugiu E, Duro D, Farkas T, Mathiasen IS, Jäättelä M, Bartek J, Lukas J
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 19
- Role of the retinoblastoma (pRb)-E2F/DP pathway in cancer chemopreventive effects of green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate.
- Authors: Ahmad N, Adhami VM, Gupta S, Cheng P, Mukhtar H
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 1
- Unbound E2F modulates TGF-beta1-induced apoptosis in HuH-7 cells.
- Authors: Fan G, Ma X, Kren BT, Steer CJ
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 1
- Rb dephosphorylation and suppression of E2F activity in human breast tumor cells exposed to a pharmacological concentration of estradiol.
- Authors: Gewirtz DA, Di YM, Randolph JK, Jain PT, Valerie K, Bullock S, Nath N, Chellappan SP
- Issue date: 2001 Apr 15
- Role of pRB-family/E2F complex in the inhibition of IL-3-dependent lymphoid cell proliferation.
- Authors: Yamada M, Kondo T, Ashizawa S, Takebayashi T, Higashi H, Hatakeyama M
- Issue date: 2002 Jan 21