Comparison of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase signalling within a panel of human colorectal cancer cell lines with mutant or wild-type PIK3CA.
AffiliationCellular and Molecular Pharmacology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent studies have identified conserved missense mutations in PIK3CA, the gene encoding the catalytic phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase subunit p110alpha, in a variety of human cancers. Further investigation demonstrated that PIK3CA mutations lead to increased basal phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase activity, promoting cell growth and invasion [Samuels, Y., Diaz, L.A., Jr., Schmidt-Kittler, O., Cummins, J.M., Delong, L., Cheong, I., Rago, C., Huso, D.L., Lengauer, C., Kinzler, K.W., Vogelstein, B. and Velculescu, V.E. (2005) Mutant PIK3CA promotes cell growth and invasion of human cancer cells. Cancer Cell 7, 561-573]. A panel of commonly used colorectal cancer cell lines was screened for these PIK3CA mutations. Constitutive and IGF-1-stimulated phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase activity, signal response and duration were assessed. In the assays used no differences distinguished cells carrying PIK3CA mutations indicating that these mutations did not significantly alter growth factor stimulated or steady state phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase activity in normal cell culture conditions.
CitationComparison of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase signalling within a panel of human colorectal cancer cell lines with mutant or wild-type PIK3CA. 2005, 579 (23):5123-8 FEBS Lett.
- Colon carcinoma cells harboring PIK3CA mutations display resistance to growth factor deprivation induced apoptosis.
- Authors: Wang J, Kuropatwinski K, Hauser J, Rossi MR, Zhou Y, Conway A, Kan JL, Gibson NW, Willson JK, Cowell JK, Brattain MG
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- PIK3CA gene mutations in breast carcinoma in Malaysian patients.
- Authors: Ching-Shian Leong V, Jabal MF, Leong PP, Abdullah MA, Gul YA, Seow HF
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Phosphatidylinositol-3-OH kinase or RAS pathway mutations in human breast cancer cell lines.
- Authors: Hollestelle A, Elstrodt F, Nagel JH, Kallemeijn WW, Schutte M
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Clinicopathological analysis of colorectal cancers with PIK3CA mutations in Middle Eastern population.
- Authors: Abubaker J, Bavi P, Al-Harbi S, Ibrahim M, Siraj AK, Al-Sanea N, Abduljabbar A, Ashari LH, Alhomoud S, Al-Dayel F, Uddin S, Al-Kuraya KS
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 5
- Correlation of PIK3Ca mutations with gene expression and drug sensitivity in NCI-60 cell lines.
- Authors: Whyte DB, Holbeck SL
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 10