AffiliationCRUK Department of Medical Oncology, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChanges in clinical practice regarding favoured first-line and adjuvant treatments for postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer (ABC) mean that it is becoming increasingly important to identify agents that are effective following aromatase inhibitor (AI) failure as well as tamoxifen failure. Fulvestrant ("Faslodex") is a new oestrogen receptor (ER) antagonist with no agonist effects that binds, blocks and degrades the ER. Fulvestrant is at least as effective as anastrozole following tamoxifen failure and also shows activity after progression on AIs. Its very good tolerability profile and novel mode of action, might offer potential for the use of fulvestrant in combination regimens, and there is also scope for investigating the use of loading and higher dose regimens in an attempt to further enhance efficacy. Here, the rationale and evidence for the efficacy of fulvestrant following AI failure and its combination with AIs and novel agents such as gefitinib and trastuzumab will be reviewed. The ongoing clinical development programme for fulvestrant will more fully the role of this valuable new agent in the treatment of postmenopausal ABC.
CitationThe future of fulvestrant ("Faslodex"). 2005, 31 Suppl 2:S26-33 Cancer Treat. Rev.
JournalCancer Treatment Reviews
- Fulvestrant ('Faslodex'): current and future role in breast cancer management.
- Authors: Howell A
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Clinical development of fulvestrant ("Faslodex").
- Authors: Howell A, Abram P
- Issue date: 2005
- Fulvestrant in the treatment of postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Gradishar W
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Fulvestrant in the management of postmenopausal women with advanced, endocrine-responsive breast cancer.
- Authors: Oakman C, Moretti E, Santarpia L, Di Leo A
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Preclinical and clinical experience with fulvestrant (Faslodex) in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Bundred N
- Issue date: 2005