Thoracic radiation therapy for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: unanswered questions.
AffiliationClinical Oncology Department, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe role of thoracic radiation therapy (RT; TRT) is now established in the management of limited-stage small-cell lung cancer (SCLC). There is increasing evidence in the literature in favor of early concurrent chemoradiation therapy, and a gold standard of care for patients with a good performance status is twice-daily TRT (45 Gy in 3 weeks) with concurrent cisplatin/etoposide. Five-year survival rates > 20% can be expected with this combined-modality approach. Although current clinical trials are exploring the efficacy of new chemotherapeutic strategies for the disease, essential questions related to the optimization of TRT remain unanswered. In particular, the optimal RT dose, fractionation, and treatment volume have not been defined. This review highlights the need for well-designed multinational trials aimed at the optimization and standardization of RT for limited-stage SCLC. These trials should integrate translational research studies to investigate the molecular basis of RT resistance and to develop biomarker profiles of prognosis.
CitationThoracic radiation therapy for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: unanswered questions. 2005, 7 (1):23-9 Clin Lung Cancer
JournalClinical Lung Cancer
- Limited-disease small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Zimmermann FB, Bamberg M, Molls M, Jeremic B
- Issue date: 2003
- Study of paclitaxel, etoposide, and cisplatin chemotherapy combined with twice-daily thoracic radiotherapy for patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: a Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 9609 phase II study.
- Authors: Ettinger DS, Berkey BA, Abrams RA, Fontanesi J, Machtay M, Duncan PJ, Curran WJ Jr, Movsas B, Byhardt RW, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 9609.
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1
- Early compared with late radiotherapy in combined modality treatment for limited disease small-cell lung cancer: a London Lung Cancer Group multicenter randomized clinical trial and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Spiro SG, James LE, Rudd RM, Trask CW, Tobias JS, Snee M, Gilligan D, Murray PA, Ruiz de Elvira MC, O'Donnell KM, Gower NH, Harper PG, Hackshaw AK, London Lung Cancer Group.
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 20
- Limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: the current status of combined-modality therapy.
- Authors: Socinski MA, Bogart JA
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 10
- Concurrent cisplatin-etoposide chemotherapy plus thoracic radiotherapy for limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Japanese Lung Cancer Chemotherapy Group in Japanese Clinical Oncology Group.
- Authors: Ariyoshi Y, Fukuoka M, Furuse K, Saijo N, Ikegami H, Nishiwaki Y, Tamura T, Shimoyama M, Suemasu K
- Issue date: 1994 Oct