Pre-operative plasma levels of vascular endothelial growth factor A, C and D in patients with colorectal cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-C and VEGF-D are angiogenic and lymphangiogenic members of the VEGF family of growth factors. Increased VEGF-C or VEGF-D expression in human tumours may be associated with lymph-node metastasis and lymphatic invasion. Circulating plasma levels of VEGF-A, VEGF-C and VEGF-D were measured in patients with colorectal cancer, and assessed for their usefulness as a diagnostic tool for determining lymph-node metastasis. MATERIALS AND METHODS: One hundred and twenty patients with colorectal cancer and 50 healthy control patients were included in the study. Plasma growth-factor levels were assessed by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays. RESULTS: No significant differences in plasma VEGF-C or VEGF-D levels were seen between patients subgrouped by clinicopathological variables. In particular, there were no differences in median plasma VEGF-C or VEGF-D level in patients with and without lymph-node involvement (VEGF-C: 11.2 U/ml [range, 4.9-51.9] vs 9.9 U/ml [4.4-93.4 U/ml]; P = 0.90; VEGF-D: 335 pg/ml [113-1102] vs 316.5 pg/ml [0-1343]; P = 0.68). CONCLUSIONS: Circulating plasma levels of VEGF-C and VEGF-D do not allow pre-operative identification of lymph-node status in patients with colorectal cancer.
CitationPre-operative plasma levels of vascular endothelial growth factor A, C and D in patients with colorectal cancer. 2005, 17 (5):367-71 Clin Oncol
- Serum vascular endothelial growth factor-C and vascular endothelial growth factor level in patients with colorectal carcinoma and clinical significance.
- Authors: Xu T, Chen D
- Issue date: 2006
- Expression analysis of vascular endothelial growth factors and their relationships to lymph node metastasis in human colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Kawakami M, Furuhata T, Kimura Y, Yamaguchi K, Hata F, Sasaki K, Hirata K
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Serum vascular endothelial growth factor-C level in patients with primary nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: a possible diagnostic tool for lymph node metastasis.
- Authors: Tamura M, Ohta Y
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 15
- Vascular endothelial growth factor-C (VEGF-C) is a more specific risk factor for lymph node metastasis than VEGF-D in submucosal colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Kazama S, Watanabe T, Kanazawa T, Hatano K, Nagawa H
- Issue date: 2007 Jan-Feb
- The angiogenic switch for vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-A, VEGF-B, VEGF-C, and VEGF-D in the adenoma-carcinoma sequence during colorectal cancer progression.
- Authors: Hanrahan V, Currie MJ, Gunningham SP, Morrin HR, Scott PA, Robinson BA, Fox SB
- Issue date: 2003 Jun