Primary smooth muscle tumor of the pleura: a clinicopathological case report with ultrastructural observations and a review of the literature.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, East Lancashire Hospital NHS Trust, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimary smooth muscle tumor of the pleura is exceptionally rare. The authors describe a primary smooth muscle tumor of the pleura that was discovered incidentally on chest X-ray in a 73-year-old man. Magnetic resonance imaging demonstrated a 12 x 18 x 15-cm pleura-based mass arising from the posterior mediastinum. Computerized tomography (CT) guided needle cores from the pleura showed a primary smooth muscle tumor of undetermined malignant potential. Further excision of the whole tumor showed an intimate relation to pleura, and the diagnosis of leiomyosarcoma was made. The clinical, radiological, histopathological, immunohistochemical, and ultrastuctural findings were consistent with a primary smooth muscle tumor of the pleura. This is the seventh case in the literature of a primary smooth muscle tumor of the pleura, which, to the best of the authors' knowledge, is the first such case of the pleura to be diagnosed on CT-guided needle biopsy. In conclusion, this method of investigation is recommended since it is minimally invasive but has a rewarding yield in providing the most likely diagnosis, predicting prognosis, and management planning.
CitationPrimary smooth muscle tumor of the pleura: a clinicopathological case report with ultrastructural observations and a review of the literature., 29 (5):389-98 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Smooth muscle tumor of the pleura. A case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Proca DM, Ross P Jr, Pratt J, Frankel WL
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Giant Leiomyoma Arising from the Mediastinal Pleura: A Case Report.
- Authors: Haratake N, Shoji F, Kozuma Y, Okamoto T, Maehara Y
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 20
- Huge localized fibrous tumor of the pleura resembling a mediastinal tumor: report of a case.
- Authors: Yashiro T, Shiba M, Sato K, Matsuzaki O, Iizasa T, Otsuji M, Fujisawa T
- Issue date: 2004
- [Primary leiomyosarcoma of visceral mediastinum].
- Authors: Zidane A, Atoini F, Arsalane A, Traibi A, Redouane B, Jidal M, El Bouzidi A, Kabiri EH
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- A case of giant benign localized fibrous tumor of the pleura.
- Authors: Biçer M, Yaldiz S, Gürsoy S, Ulğan M
- Issue date: 1998 Aug