Conformation of glycosaminoglycans by ion mobility mass spectrometry and molecular modelling.
AffiliationUniversity of Edinburgh, School of Chemistry, Joseph Black Building, West Mains Rd., Edinburgh, UK EH9 3JJ.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have performed conformational analyses of heparin-derived oligosaccharide ions in the gas phase using a combination of ion-mobility mass spectrometry and molecular modelling. Negative mode electrospray ionisation was used to generate singly (disaccharide, [C12H15NO19S3Na3]-) and doubly charged (tetrasaccharides, [C24H30N2O38S6Na6]2- and [C24H31N2O35S5Na5]2-) ions containing three and six Na+ ions, respectively. Good agreement was obtained between the experimental and theoretical cross sections. The latter were obtained using modelled structures generated by the AMBER-based force field. Analysis of the conformations of the oligosaccharide ions shows that sodium cations play a major role in stabilizing these ions in the gas phase. This was seen in the formation of oligomers of the disaccharide ion and "compact" structures of tetrasaccharide ions. Interestingly, the gas phase conformations of the three tetrasaccharide ions with different primary structures were significantly different.
CitationConformation of glycosaminoglycans by ion mobility mass spectrometry and molecular modelling. 2005, 7 (19):3464-71 Phys Chem Chem Phys
JournalPhysical Chemistry Chemical Physics
- Use of graphitised carbon negative ion LC-MS to analyse enzymatically digested glycosaminoglycans.
- Authors: Karlsson NG, Schulz BL, Packer NH, Whitelock JM
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 25
- Quantitative determination of disaccharide content in digested unfragmented heparin and low molecular weight heparin by direct-infusion electrospray mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Camara JE, Satterfield MB, Nelson BC
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 11
- Analysis of glycosaminoglycan-derived oligosaccharides using fast-atom-bombardment mass-spectrometry.
- Authors: Linhardt RJ, Wang HM, Loganathan D, Lamb DJ, Mallis LM
- Issue date: 1992 Feb 17
- Analysis of keratan sulfate oligosaccharides by electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Kariya Y, Conrad AH, Tasheva ES, Conrad GW
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 1
- TLC-LSIMS of neoglycolipids of glycosaminoglycan disaccharides and of oxymercuration cleavage products of heparin fragments that contain unsaturated uronic acid.
- Authors: Chai W, Rosankiewicz JR, Lawson AM
- Issue date: 1995 Apr 3