SCF(Pof1)-ubiquitin and its target Zip1 transcription factor mediate cadmium response in fission yeast.
AffiliationLaboratory of Cell Regulation, Lincoln's Inn Fields Laboratories, Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUbiquitin-dependent proteolysis regulates gene expression in many eukaryotic systems. Pof1 is an essential fission yeast F-box protein that is homologous to budding yeast Met30. Temperature-sensitive pof1 mutants display acute growth arrest with small cell size. Extragenic suppressor analysis identified Zip1, a bZIP (basic leucine zipper) transcription factor, as a target for Pof1. We show Zip1 is stabilized in pof1 mutants, Pof1 binds only phosphorylated forms of Zip1, and Zip1 is ubiquitylated in vivo, indicating that Zip1 is a substrate of SCF(Pof1). Genome-wide DNA microarray assay shows that many cadmium-induced genes are under the control of Zip1, suggesting Zip1 plays a role in cadmium response. Consistently, zip1 mutants are hypersensitive to cadmium and unlike wild type, lose cell viability under this stress. Intriguingly, cadmium exposure results in upregulation of Zip1 levels and leads wild-type cells to growth arrest with reduced cell size, reminiscent of pof1 phenotypes. Our results indicate that Zip1 mediates growth arrest in cadmium response, which is essential to maintain viability. Normally growing cells prevent this response through constitutive ubiquitylation and degradation of Zip1 via SCF(Pof1).
CitationSCF(Pof1)-ubiquitin and its target Zip1 transcription factor mediate cadmium response in fission yeast. 2005, 24 (3):599-610 EMBO J.
JournalThe EMBO Journal
- Molecular interactions of fission yeast Skp1 and its role in the DNA damage checkpoint.
- Authors: Lehmann A, Katayama S, Harrison C, Dhut S, Kitamura K, McDonald N, Toda T
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Identification of a conserved F-box protein 6 interactor essential for endocytosis and cytokinesis in fission yeast.
- Authors: Jourdain I, Spielewoy N, Thompson J, Dhut S, Yates JR, Toda T
- Issue date: 2009 May 13
- Auxin-inducible protein depletion system in fission yeast.
- Authors: Kanke M, Nishimura K, Kanemaki M, Kakimoto T, Takahashi TS, Nakagawa T, Masukata H
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 11
- Two F-box/WD-repeat proteins Pop1 and Pop2 form hetero- and homo-complexes together with cullin-1 in the fission yeast SCF (Skp1-Cullin-1-F-box) ubiquitin ligase.
- Authors: Kominami K, Ochotorena I, Toda T
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Fission yeast F-box protein Pof3 is required for genome integrity and telomere function.
- Authors: Katayama S, Kitamura K, Lehmann A, Nikaido O, Toda T
- Issue date: 2002 Jan