Phase II study of troxacitabine in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced cancer of the pancreas: gastrointestinal tumors.
Steward, William P
Hawkins, Robert E
Eatock, Martin M
AffiliationCentre Hospitalier de l'Université de Montréal, St-Luc Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Troxacitabine (Troxatyl) is a novel L-enantiomer nucleoside analog with activity in pancreatic cancer xenograft models. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Troxacitabine 1.5 mg/m(2) was administered by 30-min infusions daily x5 every 4 weeks to 54 patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. Patients were evaluated for objective tumor response, time to tumor progression (TTP), changes in tumor marker CA 19-9, survival, safety, pain, analgesic consumption, Karnofsky performance status and weight change. RESULTS: Median TTP was 3.5 months (95% CI 2.0-3.8), median survival 5.6 months (95% CI 4.9-7.4), and the 1 year survival rate 19%. Best responses were stable disease in 24 patients with eight patients having stable disease for at least 6 months (15%). A 50% or greater decrease in CA 19-9 was seen in seven of 44 assessed patients (16%). Grade 3 and 4 neutropenia were observed in 37% and 30% of patients with one episode of febrile neutropenia. The most common drug-related non-hematological toxic effects reported were cutaneous, with 22% and 6% of patients reporting grade 2 and 3 skin rash, respectively and 4% grade 2 hand-foot syndrome. CONCLUSION: Troxacitabine administered by a bolus daily x5 monthly regimen has modest activity in advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma.
CitationPhase II study of troxacitabine in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced cancer of the pancreas: gastrointestinal tumors. 2005, 16 (2):289-93 Ann. Oncol.
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- Phase II study of troxacitabine (BCH-4556) in patients with advanced and/or metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a trial of the National Cancer Institute of Canada-Clinical Trials Group.
- Authors: Townsley CA, Chi K, Ernst DS, Belanger K, Tannock I, Bjarnason GA, Stewart D, Goel R, Ruether JD, Siu LL, Jolivet J, McIntosh L, Seymour L, Moore MJ, National Cancer Institute of Canada-Clinical Trials Group.
- Issue date: 2003 Apr 15
- Phase II study of troxacitabine (BCH-4556) in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Dent SF, Arnold A, Stewart DJ, Gertler S, Ayoub J, Batist G, Goss G, Nevile A, Soulieres D, Jolivet J, McLntosh L, Seymour L
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug
- Synergistic activity of troxacitabine (Troxatyl) and gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Damaraju VL, Bouffard DY, Wong CK, Clarke ML, Mackey JR, Leblond L, Cass CE, Grey M, Gourdeau H
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 3
- Troxacitabine, an L-stereoisomeric nucleoside analog, on a five-times-daily schedule: a phase I and pharmacokinetic study in patients with advanced solid malignancies.
- Authors: de Bono JS, Stephenson J Jr, Baker SD, Hidalgo M, Patnaik A, Hammond LA, Weiss G, Goetz A, Siu L, Simmons C, Jolivet J, Rowinsky EK
- Issue date: 2002 Jan 1
- Troxacitabine: BCH 4556, SPD 758, Troxatyl.
- Authors: Adis International Ltd.
- Issue date: 2003