ATM-dependent phosphorylation of ATF2 is required for the DNA damage response.
AffiliationSignal Transduction Program, The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractActivating transcription factor 2 (ATF2) is regulated by JNK/p38 in response to stress. Here, we demonstrate that the protein kinase ATM phosphorylates ATF2 on serines 490 and 498 following ionizing radiation (IR). Phosphoantibodies to ATF2(490/8) reveal dose- and time-dependent phosphorylation of ATF2 by ATM that results in its rapid colocalization with gamma-H2AX and MRN components into IR-induced foci (IRIF). Inhibition of ATF2 expression decreased recruitment of Mre11 to IRIF, abrogated S phase checkpoint, reduced activation of ATM, Chk1, and Chk2, and impaired radioresistance. ATF2 requires neither JNK/p38 nor its DNA binding domain for recruitment to IRIF and the S phase checkpoint. Our findings identify a role for ATF2 in the DNA damage response that is uncoupled from its transcriptional activity.
CitationATM-dependent phosphorylation of ATF2 is required for the DNA damage response. 2005, 18 (5):577-87 Mol. Cell
- Functional interaction of H2AX, NBS1, and p53 in ATM-dependent DNA damage responses and tumor suppression.
- Authors: Kang J, Ferguson D, Song H, Bassing C, Eckersdorff M, Alt FW, Xu Y
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Dissecting cellular responses to irradiation via targeted disruptions of the ATM-CHK1-PP2A circuit.
- Authors: Palii SS, Cui Y, Innes CL, Paules RS
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 1
- Differentiation-induced radioresistance in muscle cells.
- Authors: Latella L, Lukas J, Simone C, Puri PL, Bartek J
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Distinct functions of Nijmegen breakage syndrome in ataxia telangiectasia mutated-dependent responses to DNA damage.
- Authors: Lee JH, Xu B, Lee CH, Ahn JY, Song MS, Lee H, Canman CE, Lee JS, Kastan MB, Lim DS
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- The carboxy terminus of NBS1 is required for induction of apoptosis by the MRE11 complex.
- Authors: Stracker TH, Morales M, Couto SS, Hussein H, Petrini JH
- Issue date: 2007 May 10