SRC-induced disassembly of adherens junctions requires localized phosphorylation and degradation of the rac activator tiam1.
AuthorsWoodcock, Simon A
Rooney, Claire M
Whetton, Anthony D
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Rac activator Tiam1 is required for adherens junction (AJ) maintenance, and its depletion results in AJ disassembly. Conversely, the oncoprotein Src potently induces AJ disassembly and epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT). Here, we show that Tiam1 is phosphorylated on Y384 by Src. This occurs predominantly at AJs, is required for Src-induced AJ disassembly and cell migration, and creates a docking site on Tiam1 for Grb2. We find that Tiam1 is associated with ERK. Following recruitment of the Grb2-Sos1 complex, ERK becomes activated and triggers the localized degradation of Tiam1 at AJs, likely involving calpain proteases. Furthermore, we demonstrate that, in human tumors, Y384 phosphorylation positively correlates with Src activity, and total Tiam1 levels are inversely correlated. Thus, our data implicate Tiam1 phosphorylation and consequent degradation in Src-mediated EMT and resultant cell motility and establish a paradigm for regulating local concentrations of Rho-GEFs.
CitationSRC-induced disassembly of adherens junctions requires localized phosphorylation and degradation of the rac activator tiam1. 2009, 33 (5):639-53 Mol. Cell
- The Rac activator Tiam1 prevents keratinocyte apoptosis by controlling ROS-mediated ERK phosphorylation.
- Authors: Rygiel TP, Mertens AE, Strumane K, van der Kammen R, Collard JG
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 15
- Activation of Rac by cadherin through the c-Src-Rap1-phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Vav2 pathway.
- Authors: Fukuyama T, Ogita H, Kawakatsu T, Inagaki M, Takai Y
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 5
- Rac1 function is required for Src-induced transformation. Evidence of a role for Tiam1 and Vav2 in Rac activation by Src.
- Authors: Servitja JM, Marinissen MJ, Sodhi A, Bustelo XR, Gutkind JS
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 5
- p190-RhoGAP as an integral component of the Tiam1/Rac1-induced downregulation of Rho.
- Authors: Herbrand U, Ahmadian MR
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Macrophage activation increases the invasive properties of hepatoma cells by destabilization of the adherens junction.
- Authors: Lin CY, Lin CJ, Chen KH, Wu JC, Huang SH, Wang SM
- Issue date: 2006 May 29