21st L H Gray Conference: the radiobiology/radiation protection interface.
AffiliationAcademic Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 21st L H Gray Conference, organised by the L H Gray Trust with the Society for Radiological Protection, brought together international experts in radiobiology, epidemiology and risk assessment, and scientists involved in diagnostic and therapeutic radiation exposure. The meeting - held in Edinburgh, Scotland, on 4-6 June 2008 - aimed to raise awareness, educate and share knowledge of important issues in radiation protection. A distinguished group of speakers discussed topics that included (i) non-targeted effects of radiation, (ii) exposure to high natural background radiation, (iii) non-cancer effects in Japanese bomb survivors, (iv) lessons learnt from Chernobyl, (v) radiation in the workplace, (vi) biokinetic modelling, (vii) uncertainties in risk estimation, (viii) issues in diagnostic medical exposures, (ix) lessons leant from the polonium-210 incidence and (x) how the radiobiology/radiation oncology community is needed to help society prepare for potential future acts of radiation terrorism. The conference highlighted the importance, relevance and topicality of radiobiology today.
Citation21st L H Gray Conference: the radiobiology/radiation protection interface. 2009, 82 (977):353-62notBr J Radiol
JournalThe British journal of radiology
- The radiobiology/radiation protection interface in healthcare.
- Authors: Martin CJ, Sutton DG, West CM, Wright EG
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Radiation terrorism: what society needs from the radiobiology-radiation protection and radiation oncology communities.
- Authors: Coleman CN, Parker GW
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Comparisons of lung tumour mortality risk in the Japanese A-bomb survivors and in the Colorado Plateau uranium miners: support for the ICRP lung model.
- Authors: Little MP
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Education and training for radiation scientists: radiation research program and American Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Workshop, Bethesda, Maryland, May 12-14, 2003.
- Authors: Coleman CN, Stone HB, Alexander GA, Barcellos-Hoff MH, Bedford JS, Bristow RG, Dynlacht JR, Fuks Z, Gorelic LS, Hill RP, Joiner MC, Liu FF, McBride WH, McKenna WG, Powell SN, Robbins ME, Rockwell S, Schiff PB, Shaw EG, Siemann DW, Travis EL, Wallner PE, Wong RS, Zeman EM
- Issue date: 2003 Dec