No association between N7-methyldeoxyguanosine and 8-oxodeoxyguanosine levels in human lymphocyte DNA.
AuthorsHarrison, Kathryn L
Crosbie, Philip A J
Agius, Raymond M
Barber, Philip V
Margison, Geoffrey P
Povey, Andrew C
AffiliationCentre for Occupational and Environmental Health, Division of Epidemiology and Health Sciences, Medical School, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo examine associations between two different classes of DNA damage that can occur through endogenous processes or exogenous exposures such as smoking, N7-methyldeoxyguanosine (N7-MedG) and 8-oxodeoxyguanosine (8-oxodG) levels were measured in lymphocyte DNA from 22 bronchoscopy patients. 8-OxodG and N7-MedG was detected in 100% and 91% of samples, respectively with 8-oxodG levels being approx 20 times higher (mean 8.39+/-3.578-oxodG/10(6)dG versus 0.41+/-0.33 N7-MedG/10(6) dG) which provides an indication of the relative importance of the agents that induce oxidative DNA damage or alkylation damage. The sources of these genotoxic lesions remain to be established but N7-MedG and 8-oxodG levels were not correlated (r(2)<0.01) suggesting that there is no association between alkylating agent and reactive oxygen species exposure, their metabolism and/or the DNA repair processes that can remove this DNA damage.
CitationNo association between N7-methyldeoxyguanosine and 8-oxodeoxyguanosine levels in human lymphocyte DNA. 2006, 600 (1-2):125-30 Mutat. Res.
- Levels of the DNA adduct, N7-methyldeoxyguanosine, are associated with increased risk of failure of treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia.
- Authors: Acladious NN, Harrison KL, Sutton CJ, Povey AC, Mandal D, Kitchener H
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- N7-methyldeoxyguanosine levels in DNA isolated from cervical cytology samples are associated with smoking.
- Authors: Harrison KL, Khan NS, Dey P, Povey AC
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 15
- Relationships between the formation of O6-methyldeoxyguanosine by 1-p-carboxyl-3,3-dimethylphenyltriazene in DNA and O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human peripheral leukocytes.
- Authors: Lee SM, O'Connor PJ, Thatcher N, Crowther D, Margison GP, Cooper DP
- Issue date: 1994 Aug 1
- Development and application of a sensitive and rapid immunoassay for the quantitation of N7-methyldeoxyguanosine in DNA samples.
- Authors: Harrison KL, Wood M, Lees NP, Hall CN, Margison GP, Povey AC
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Quantitative determination of N7-methyldeoxyguanosine and O6-methyldeoxyguanosine in DNA by LC-UV-MS-MS.
- Authors: Yang Y, Nikolic D, Swanson SM, van Breemen RB
- Issue date: 2002 Oct 15