Regulation of the nuclear localization of the human Nedd4-related WWP1 protein by Notch.
Nguyen Huu, Ngoc Sa
Clarke, Robert B
AffiliationUniversity of Manchester, Faculty of Life Sciences, Michael Smith Building, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNedd4 family ubiquitin ligases regulate trafficking and degradation of numerous target substrates in different cellular compartments, including at the plasma membrane, in endosomes, in the secretory pathway and in the nucleus. WWP1 is a Nedd4 family protein closely related to mouse Itch and Drosophila Su(dx), both of which have been shown to regulate the Notch receptor. To investigate the possibility that WWP1 is also associated with Notch signalling we coexpressed human Notch1 and WWP1 in mouse myoblast cells. We found that WWP1 could localize to both the nucleus and cytoplasm in a context dependent manner. Coexpression of human Notch1 (hN1) depleted WWP1 from the nucleus to colocalise with hN1 in early endosomes, dependent on the presence of the C-terminal HECT domain. Furthermore we found that full-length expressed WWP1 could interact in vitro with the cytoplasmic domain of human Notch1. The Notch receptor has multiple roles in development, mediating a short-range signal that controls cell fate and pattern formation. The canonical Notch signal involves proteolytic release of the soluble Notch intracellular domain and the activation by the latter of the transcription factor Suppressor of Hairless/CBF-1 in the nucleus. This pathway does not however account for all of the activity of Notch. The ability of Notch to regulate the nuclear localization of WWP1 suggests a possible alternative mechanism by which Notch may communicate a signal to the nucleus. Drosophila Notch similarly regulated the nuclear localization of the Drosophila Nedd4 family protein, Suppressor of deltex, implying conservation of this mechanism during evolution.
CitationRegulation of the nuclear localization of the human Nedd4-related WWP1 protein by Notch., 23 (3):269-76 Mol. Membr. Biol.
JournalMolecular Membrane Biology
- Regulation of notch endosomal sorting and signaling by Drosophila Nedd4 family proteins.
- Authors: Wilkin MB, Carbery AM, Fostier M, Aslam H, Mazaleyrat SL, Higgs J, Myat A, Evans DA, Cornell M, Baron M
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 29
- WW domain-mediated regulation and activation of E3 ubiquitin ligase Suppressor of Deltex.
- Authors: Yao W, Shan Z, Gu A, Fu M, Shi Z, Wen W
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 26
- Drosophila Nedd4 regulates endocytosis of notch and suppresses its ligand-independent activation.
- Authors: Sakata T, Sakaguchi H, Tsuda L, Higashitani A, Aigaki T, Matsuno K, Hayashi S
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 29
- Control of the dynamics and homeostasis of the Drosophila Hedgehog receptor Patched by two C2-WW-HECT-E3 Ubiquitin ligases.
- Authors: Brigui A, Hofmann L, Argüelles C, Sanial M, Holmgren RA, Plessis A
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase WWP1 selectively targets HER4 and its proteolytically derived signaling isoforms for degradation.
- Authors: Feng SM, Muraoka-Cook RS, Hunter D, Sandahl MA, Caskey LS, Miyazawa K, Atfi A, Earp HS 3rd
- Issue date: 2009 Feb