An evaluation of cytosolic erythrocyte carbonic anhydrase and catalase in carcinoma patients: an elevation of carbonic anhydrase activity.
AffiliationBalikesir University Faculty of Science and Literature, Department of Chemistry, Soma Street, 10100 Balikesir, Turkey. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: The antioxidant enzyme catalase and the CO2/HCO3- exchange enzyme carbonic anhydrase are both present in significant amounts in the cytosol of erythrocytes. The aim of the present study was to investigate whether these erythrocyte enzyme activities are altered in patients who have carcinoma. DESIGN AND METHODS: Cytosolic erythrocyte enzyme activities were measured in 108 cancer patients presenting with carcinoma at one of variable sites, prior to clinical treatment. These were compared with an age- and sex-matched control group of 31 healthy volunteers. RESULTS: Mean (+/-SD) catalase activities did not differ significantly, i.e. 0.0035 (+/-0.0015) EU/ml in carcinoma patients vs. 0.0031 (+/-0.00075) EU/ml in controls. However, mean carbonic anhydrase activities of 204 (+/-91) EU/ml in the carcinoma patients were significantly higher than the 158 (+/-35) EU/ml in controls (P value of 0.0065). CONCLUSION: Cytosolic erythrocyte carbonic anhydrase levels may warrant further investigation as a potential peripheral marker in cancer.
CitationAn evaluation of cytosolic erythrocyte carbonic anhydrase and catalase in carcinoma patients: an elevation of carbonic anhydrase activity. 2006, 39 (8):804-9 Clin. Biochem.
- Differential expression of carbonic anhydrase isoenzymes in various types of anemia.
- Authors: Kuo WH, Yang SF, Hsieh YS, Tsai CS, Hwang WL, Chu SC
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- [Erythrocyte carbonic anhydrase in subjects on periodic hemodialysis].
- Authors: Squarzoni G, Bariani L, Ughi M, Squerzanti R, Bariani MC, Fersini C, Castaldi G
- Issue date: 1990 Aug-Oct
- Study on the changes of carbonic anhydrase activity in insulin resistance and the effect of methylglyoxal.
- Authors: Biswas UK, Kumar A
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Inactive form of erythrocyte carbonic anhydrase B in patients with primary renal tubular acidosis.
- Authors: Kondo T, Taniguchi N, Taniguchi K, Matsuda I, Murao M
- Issue date: 1978 Sep
- Erythrocyte catalase and carbonic anhydrase activities in acute leukemias.
- Authors: Demir C, Demir H, Esen R, Atmaca M, Tagdemir E
- Issue date: 2010