AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDysregulation of apoptosis has been shown to contribute to many diseases, including cancer formation, development and resistance, as well as neurodegenerative and autoimmune disorders. One mechanism through which tumour cells are believed to acquire resistance to apoptosis is by overexpression of X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP), which belongs to a family of inhibitor of apoptosis proteins. When XIAP is overexpressed, cancer cells are rendered resistant to apoptosis, both intrinsically and in response to chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Significant progress has been made in targeting XIAP therapeutically, both directly and indirectly through the modulation of other molecules involved in the apoptotic pathway. This review introduces XIAP from its molecular origins, discusses its modulation and potential as a novel drug target, and considers future therapeutic perspectives.
CitationX-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein as a therapeutic target. 2007, 11 (11):1459-71 Expert Opin. Ther. Targets
JournalExpert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets
- High levels of X-linked Inhibitor-of-Apoptosis Protein (XIAP) are indicative of radio chemotherapy resistance in rectal cancer.
- Authors: Flanagan L, Kehoe J, Fay J, Bacon O, Lindner AU, Kay EW, Deasy J, McNamara DA, Prehn JH
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 13
- Downregulation of miR-130a contributes to cisplatin resistance in ovarian cancer cells by targeting X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis (XIAP) directly.
- Authors: Zhang X, Huang L, Zhao Y, Tan W
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Targeting X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein to increase the efficacy of endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis for melanoma therapy.
- Authors: Hiscutt EL, Hill DS, Martin S, Kerr R, Harbottle A, Birch-Machin M, Redfern CP, Fulda S, Armstrong JL, Lovat PE
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Molecular targeting of Bcl-2 overcomes prostate cancer cell adaptation to XIAP gene downregulation.
- Authors: Nakano Y, Bilim V, Yuuki K, Muto A, Kato T, Nagaoka A, Tomita Y
- Issue date: 2009
- X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein as a therapeutic target in metastatic melanoma.
- Authors: Tian F, Lee SW
- Issue date: 2010 Sep