Novel therapeutic targets in lung cancer: Inhibitor of apoptosis proteins from laboratory to clinic.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com>
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death worldwide. Despite the introduction of new agents and schedules, chemotherapy still obtains unsatisfactory overall response rates, rare complete remissions and responses of relatively short duration. The inhibitor of apoptosis proteins (IAPS) are a family of caspase inhibitors that selectively bind and inhibit caspases-3, -7, and -9. As caspase activation is central to apoptosis, novel therapeutic drugs that target IAPs enabling apoptosis to occur have potential as a treatment of malignancy. Several agents that target core components of the apoptotic signalling pathway are currently at an early stage of development. This review reports the progress being made in characterising the IAP family, with a focus on the available data relevant to the treatment of lung cancer.
CitationNovel therapeutic targets in lung cancer: Inhibitor of apoptosis proteins from laboratory to clinic. 2007, 33 (2):203-12 Cancer Treat. Rev.
JournalCancer Treatment Reviews
- Combinatorial action of the HDAC inhibitor trichostatin A and etoposide induces caspase-mediated AIF-dependent apoptotic cell death in non-small cell lung carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Hajji N, Wallenborg K, Vlachos P, Nyman U, Hermanson O, Joseph B
- Issue date: 2008 May 15
- Role of XIAP in inhibiting cisplatin-induced caspase activation in non-small cell lung cancer cells: a small molecule Smac mimic sensitizes for chemotherapy-induced apoptosis by enhancing caspase-3 activation.
- Authors: Checinska A, Hoogeland BS, Rodriguez JA, Giaccone G, Kruyt FA
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 1
- Targeting apoptosis in prostate cancer: focus on caspases and inhibitors of apoptosis proteins.
- Authors: Watson RW, Fitzpatrick JM
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Novel approaches for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Bonomi P
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- New targets for non-small-cell lung cancer therapy.
- Authors: Alvarez M, Roman E, Santos ES, Raez LE
- Issue date: 2007 Oct