The neoadjuvant approach in the treatment of patients with advanced epithelial ovarian carcinoma.
AuthorsRosa, Daniela D
Ton, Nhuan C
Clamp, Andrew R
Mullamitha, Saifee A
Lau, Sin C
Clayton, Richard D
Kitchener, Henry C
Shanks, Jonathan H
McVey, Rhona J
Jayson, Gordon C
AffiliationCancer Research UK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: Ovarian cancer has a very poor prognosis, with 5-year survival rates of 5-20% for advanced-stage disease. This work was designed to verify whether the neoadjuvant approach had an effect on survival in patients with advanced-stage ovarian cancer. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Patients with stage III or IV disease who received neoadjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy (group 1) were compared with a group of conventionally treated patients (group 2). RESULTS: Most of the patients in group 1 (76%) had partial tumoral responses after chemotherapy. Patients from group 1 (n = 42) had a median survival that was not different from that in patients from group 2 (n = 348). Patients who received platinum-based chemotherapy with taxanes had the same survival of patients who received no taxanes. CONCLUSIONS: Our results showed similar responses and survival rates for patients with stage III or IV ovarian cancer treated with neoadjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy, when compared with patients who underwent primary suboptimal cytoreductive surgery. Our data therefore support the ongoing trials to determine the optimum timing of surgery for ovarian cancer.
CitationThe neoadjuvant approach in the treatment of patients with advanced epithelial ovarian carcinoma. 2007, 19 (2):125-8 Clin Oncol
- [Re-evaluation of interval debulking surgery in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer].
- Authors: Ma Y, Li Y, Cui H, Liang XD, Tang ZJ, Li XP, Zhao Y, Wei LH
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Increases R0 Cytoreduction Rate But Does Not Improve Final Outcome in Advanced Epithelial Ovarian Cancer.
- Authors: Medina-Franco H, Cortés-González R, Lambreton-Hinojosa F, Fimbres-Morales A, Vargas-Siordia JC
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Advanced Ovarian Cancer: A Single-Institution Experience and a Review of the Literature.
- Authors: Loizzi V, Leone L, Camporeale A, Resta L, Selvaggi L, Cicinelli E, Cormio G
- Issue date: 2016
- TP53 K351N mutation-associated platinum resistance after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Zhang GN, Liu H, Huang JM, Wang L, Zhao JS, Li C, Mi K, Zhu Y, Cheng J, Zha X
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Improved outcomes with dose-dense paclitaxel-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy in advanced epithelial ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Becker DA, Thomas ED, Gilbert AL, Boone JD, Straughn JM Jr, Huh WK, Bevis KS, Leath CA 3rd, Alvarez RD
- Issue date: 2016 Jul