Occupational stress in palliative medicine, medical oncology and clinical oncology specialist registrars.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA cross-sectional complete enumeration postal survey was conducted to compare stress levels between specialist registrars (SpRs) in palliative medicine, clinical oncology and medical oncology. Four hundred and one UK-registered SpRs responded (response rate 63.1%). Levels of psychological distress and depression were measured by GHQ-12 and SCL-D: 102/390 (26.2%, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 21.8-30.5%)) scored > 3 on GHQ-12 indicating psychological distress, 44/391 (11.3%, 95% CI = 8.1-14.4%) scored > or = 1.5 on SCL-D indicative of depression. Suicidal ideation was indicated by 15 responders. There were no significant differences between specialties. The effect of stress on personal or family life was the dominant predictor of both psychological distress and depression, although dissatisfaction with choice of specialty and feeling underutilised also contributed. One in four SpRs experience stress. These results are similar to studies of general practitioner principals and consultants from other specialties. Stress needs to be managed if doctors are to survive professional life.
CitationOccupational stress in palliative medicine, medical oncology and clinical oncology specialist registrars. 2007, 7 (3):235-42 Clin Med
- Burnout and associated factors among members of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
- Authors: Rath KS, Huffman LB, Phillips GS, Carpenter KM, Fowler JM
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Job stress and satisfaction among palliative physicians.
- Authors: Graham J, Ramirez AJ, Cull A, Finlay I, Hoy A, Richards MA
- Issue date: 1996 Jul
- Stress in UK intensive care unit doctors.
- Authors: Coomber S, Todd C, Park G, Baxter P, Firth-Cozens J, Shore S
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- What's up doc? A national cross-sectional study of psychological wellbeing of hospital doctors in Ireland.
- Authors: Hayes B, Prihodova L, Walsh G, Doyle F, Doherty S
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 16
- Patient-Centredness, Job Satisfaction and Psychological Distress: a Brief Survey Comparing Oncology Nurses and Doctors.
- Authors: Chan CM, Wan Ahmad WA, Yusof MM, Ho GF, Krupat E
- Issue date: 2015