Guidelines for the control of glycopeptide-resistant enterococci in hospitals.
AuthorsCookson, B D
Macrae, M B
Barrett, S P
Brown, D F J
French, G L
Hosein, I K
Wade, J J
AffiliationLaboratory of Healthcare Associated Infection, Specialist and Reference Microbiology Division, Health Protection Agency, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe increase since the mid 1980s in glycopeptide resistant enterococci (GRE) raised concerns about the limited options for antimicrobial therapy, the implications for ever-increasing numbers of immunocompromised hospitalised patients, and fuelled fears, now realised, for the transfer of glycopeptide resistance to more pathogenic bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus. These issues underlined the need for guidelines for the emergence and control of GRE in the hospital setting. This Hospital Infection Society (HIS) and Infection Control Nurses Association (ICNA) working party report reviews the literature relating to GRE prevention and control. It provides guidance on microbiological investigation, treatment and management, including antimicrobial prescribing and infection control measures. Evidence identified to support recommendations has been categorized. A risk assessment approach is recommended and areas for research and development identified.
CitationGuidelines for the control of glycopeptide-resistant enterococci in hospitals. 2006, 62 (1):6-21 J. Hosp. Infect.
JournalThe Journal of Hospital Infection
- Control of a hospital-wide vancomycin-resistant Enterococci outbreak.
- Authors: Kurup A, Chlebicki MP, Ling ML, Koh TH, Tan KY, Lee LC, Howe KB
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- A prospective study of the impact of colonization following hospital admission by glycopeptide-resistant Enterococci on mortality during a hospital outbreak.
- Authors: Hautemanière A, Hunter PR, Diguio N, Albuisson E, Hartemann P
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Glycopeptide-resistant Enterococcus raffinosus in a haematology unit: an unusual cause of a nosocomial outbreak.
- Authors: Samuel J, Coutinho H, Galloway A, Rennison C, Kaufmann ME, Woodford N
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Epidemiology and mechanisms of glycopeptide resistance in enterococci.
- Authors: Zirakzadeh A, Patel R
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Vancomycin-resistant enterococci: mechanisms and clinical observations.
- Authors: Gold HS
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 15