Activated c-SRC in ductal carcinoma in situ correlates with high tumour grade, high proliferation and HER2 positivity.
AuthorsWilson, G R
Knox, W Fiona
Clarke, Robert B
Bundred, Nigel J
AffiliationDepartment of Academic Surgery, Research and Education Building 2nd Floor, South Manchester University Hospital, Wythenshawe, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOverexpression and/or activity of c-Src non-receptor tyrosine kinase is associated with progression of several human epithelial cancers including breast cancer. c-Src activity in 'pure' ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) was measured to assess whether this predicts recurrence and/or correlates with HER2 expression and other clinical parameters. Activated c-Src levels were evaluated in DCIS biopsies from 129 women, with median follow-up at 60 months. High levels of activated c-Src correlated with HER2 positivity, high tumour grade, comedo necrosis and elevated epithelial proliferation. In univariate analysis, high activated c-Src level associated with lower recurrence-free survival at 5 years (P=0.011). Thus, high c-Src activity may identify a subset of DCIS with high risk of recurrence or progression to invasive cancer where therapeutics targeting c-Src may benefit this patient subset.
CitationActivated c-SRC in ductal carcinoma in situ correlates with high tumour grade, high proliferation and HER2 positivity. 2006, 95 (10):1410-4 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Risk of subsequent in situ and invasive breast cancer in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive ductal carcinoma in situ.
- Authors: Curigliano G, Disalvatore D, Esposito A, Pruneri G, Lazzeroni M, Guerrieri-Gonzaga A, Luini A, Orecchia R, Goldhirsch A, Rotmensz N, Bonanni B, Viale G
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Absence of HER4 expression predicts recurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.
- Authors: Barnes NL, Khavari S, Boland GP, Cramer A, Knox WF, Bundred NJ
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 15
- Is there a low-grade precursor pathway in breast cancer?
- Authors: King TA, Sakr RA, Muhsen S, Andrade VP, Giri D, Van Zee KJ, Morrow M
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Nudix-type motif 2 in human breast carcinoma: a potent prognostic factor associated with cell proliferation.
- Authors: Oka K, Suzuki T, Onodera Y, Miki Y, Takagi K, Nagasaki S, Akahira J, Ishida T, Watanabe M, Hirakawa H, Ohuchi N, Sasano H
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 15
- Geometric characteristics of collagen have independent prognostic significance in breast ductal carcinoma in situ: an image analysis study.
- Authors: Toss MS, Miligy IM, Gorringe KL, AlKawaz A, Mittal K, Aneja R, Ellis IO, Green AR, Roxanis I, Rakha EA
- Issue date: 2019 Oct