Weekly paclitaxel in the treatment of recurrent ovarian carcinoma.
AuthorsByrd, Louise M
Thistlethwaite, Fiona C
Clamp, Andrew R
Ton, Nhuan C
Jayson, Gordon C
AffiliationCancer Research UK, Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To study the effect of weekly paclitaxel in the treatment of recurrent ovarian and peritoneal carcinoma. METHODS: A retrospective analysis of patients treated at Christie Cancer Centre between May 2003 and May 2005 was carried out. RESULTS: Fortynine patients with recurrent ovarian and peritoneal carcinoma were treated. The mean duration of treatment was 11 weeks, with 27 (54%) patients receiving 12 or more treatments. The most frequent non-haematological toxicities reported were mild nausea, constipation, lethargy and neuropathy. Moderate anaemia was noted in 50% of patients. Radiological assessment by CT scanning showed that complete or partial responses were achieved in 28% of patients. CA125 response was demonstrated in 63% of patients. Median time to recurrence was 149 days and median survival was 359 days. CONCLUSION: This study provides evidence for the role of weekly paclitaxel in the treatment of recurrent ovarian and peritoneal carcinoma even in a drug-resistant setting following multiple lines of prior therapy.
CitationWeekly paclitaxel in the treatment of recurrent ovarian carcinoma. 2007, 28 (3):174-8 Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol.
JournalEuropean Journal of Gynaecological Oncology
- Experience in a UK cancer centre of weekly paclitaxel in the treatment of relapsed ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer.
- Authors: Linch M, Stavridi F, Hook J, Barbachano Y, Gore M, Kaye SB
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Prospective evaluations of continuous weekly paclitaxel regimen in recurrent platinum-resistant epithelial ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Le T, Hopkins L, Baines KA, Rambout L, Al Hayki M, Kee Fung MF
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- A randomized phase II study of cabozantinib versus weekly paclitaxel in the treatment of persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube or primary peritoneal cancer: An NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group study.
- Authors: Matulonis UA, Sill MW, Makker V, Mutch DG, Carlson JW, Darus CJ, Mannel RS, Bender DP, Crane EK, Aghajanian C
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Salvage weekly paclitaxel in recurrent ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Abu-Rustum NR, Aghajanian C, Barakat RR, Fennelly D, Shapiro F, Spriggs D
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- Preliminary experience with salvage weekly paclitaxel in women with advanced recurrent ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Dunder I, Berker B, Atabekoglu C, Bilgin T
- Issue date: 2005