Pemetrexed in small-cell lung cancer: background and review of the ongoing GALES pivotal trial.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPemetrexed is a novel, multitargeted antifolate currently under development for the treatment of a number of solid tumors, including small-cell lung cancer. Pemetrexed/platinum combinations appear to compare favorably with other platinum-based doublets in terms of their efficacy and safety profile. The Global Analysis of Pemetrexed in SCLC Extensive Stage (GALES) trial is a direct comparison of pemetrexed and carboplatin with the standard first-line etoposide and carboplatin chemotherapy in extensive-disease small-cell lung cancer. This randomized, multicenter, open-label Phase III study will enroll 1820 patients in 23 countries, with the final analysis planned after 1270 deaths have occurred. An interim analysis will be conducted after 700 patients have been enrolled. The study will also use pharmacogenomic analysis to evaluate biological predictors of response, in particular to pemetrexed.
CitationPemetrexed in small-cell lung cancer: background and review of the ongoing GALES pivotal trial. 2007, 7 (5):635-40 Expert Rev Anticancer Ther
JournalExpert Review of Anticancer Therapy
- Phase III study of pemetrexed plus carboplatin compared with etoposide plus carboplatin in chemotherapy-naive patients with extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Socinski MA, Smit EF, Lorigan P, Konduri K, Reck M, Szczesna A, Blakely J, Serwatowski P, Karaseva NA, Ciuleanu T, Jassem J, Dediu M, Hong S, Visseren-Grul C, Hanauske AR, Obasaju CK, Guba SC, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 1
- Randomized phase II trial of pemetrexed combined with either cisplatin or carboplatin in untreated extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Socinski MA, Weissman C, Hart LL, Beck JT, Choksi JK, Hanson JP, Prager D, Monberg MJ, Ye Z, Obasaju CK
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 20
- The evolving role of pemetrexed (Alimta) in lung cancer.
- Authors: Socinski MA, Stinchcombe TE, Hayes DN
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Seeking new options for the treatment of small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Socinski MA
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Pemetrexed: a multitargeted antifolate.
- Authors: Rollins KD, Lindley C
- Issue date: 2005 Sep