Novel synthesis of O6-alkylguanine containing oligodeoxyribonucleotides as substrates for the human DNA repair protein, O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase (MGMT).
McMurry, T Brian H
McElhinney, R Stanley
Margison, Geoffrey P
Williams, David M
AffiliationDepartment of Chemistry, Centre for Chemical Biology, Richard Roberts Building, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S3 7HF, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe human DNA repair protein O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) dealkylates mutagenic O6-alkylguanine lesions within DNA in an irreversible reaction which results in inactivation of the protein. MGMT also provides resistance of tumours to alkylating agents used in cancer chemotherapy and its inactivation is therefore of particular clinical importance. We describe a post-DNA synthesis strategy which exploits the novel, modified base 2-amino-6-methylsulfonylpurine and allows access for the first time to a wide variety of oligodeoxyribonucleotides (ODNs) containing O6-alkylguanines. One such ODN containing O6-(4-bromothenyl)guanine is the most potent inactivator described to date with an IC50 of 0.1 nM.
CitationNovel synthesis of O6-alkylguanine containing oligodeoxyribonucleotides as substrates for the human DNA repair protein, O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase (MGMT). 2006, 34 (6):1884-91 Nucleic Acids Res.
JournalNucleic Acids Research
- Novel post DNA synthesis chemistry for preparing oligonucleotides containing O6-modified purines.
- Authors: Shibata T, Williams DM
- Issue date: 2005
- Synthesis of oligodeoxyribonucleotides containing a conformationally-locked anti analogue of O6-methyl-2'-deoxyguanosine and their recognition by MGMT and Atl1.
- Authors: Abdu K, Aiertza MK, Wilkinson OJ, Grasby JA, Senthong P, Povey AC, Margison GP, Williams DM
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 25
- Inactivation of human O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase by modified oligodeoxyribonucleotides containing O(6)-benzylguanine.
- Authors: Pegg AE, Goodtzova K, Loktionova NA, Kanugula S, Pauly GT, Moschel RC
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Factors influencing the repair of the mutagenic lesion O6-methylguanine in DNA by human O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase.
- Authors: Liem LK, Wong CW, Lim A, Li BF
- Issue date: 1993 Jun 20
- The nitrosated bile acid DNA lesion O6-carboxymethylguanine is a substrate for the human DNA repair protein O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase.
- Authors: Senthong P, Millington CL, Wilkinson OJ, Marriott AS, Watson AJ, Reamtong O, Eyers CE, Williams DM, Margison GP, Povey AC
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 1